FAQ SearchLogin
Tuxera Home
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 17, 2021 07:13

license of ntfsprogs/boot.c 

Post license of ntfsprogs/boot.c
User states and probably right that the content of boot_array is copyrighted by Microsoft. It's the first 4136 bytes of $Boot of their Operation System. I couldn't find any copyright material on it, but it doesn't mean it's public domain at least. Hence I don't see how it can be distributed.

Fri Apr 22, 2016 08:42
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Post Re: license of ntfsprogs/boot.c
Hi,

I asked the original developer of mkntfs. His reply was :
Quote:
Both VMware (and probably Parallels, too) and Mac OS X Bootcamp format NTFS partitions and then install Windows on the partition thus the boot code is essential to be present.

However, if this situation is a problem to you, I can propose a patch based on mkvfat. I will just relocate its code to adapt to extra parameters required by ntfs at fixed locations.

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Fri Apr 22, 2016 14:17
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Hi,

Attached is a proposed fully GPL substitute for boot.c, which is better suited for some distributions.

I have checked that chkdsk for Windows variants XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 10 do not object about the resulting partitions, but I have not checked (and I will not) what are the requirements in specific circumstances.

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Attachments:
boot-gpl.c.gz [1.33 KiB]
Downloaded 900 times
Fri Apr 22, 2016 16:57

jpa wrote:
Attached is a proposed fully GPL substitute for boot.c, which is better suited for some distributions.

We misunderstood each other a bit. One major point in GPL is that the code is available in source format. This is OK with your patch. The second major point that the software is free to modify and distribute. If it's the original code from Microsoft and someone just disassembled it, then it still has a commercial license. Disassembling don't make you own the code nor let you say it's GPL.
Sorry if it's the work of someone who wrote his/her boot sector to boot MS OSes. As boot.c contains decimal numbers and your patch hexadecimal ones, I can't easily compare these.

I had the hope you may have a contact with Microsoft and can ask legal information on this topic. Will try my rounds then.

Fri Apr 22, 2016 19:35
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Hi again,

Quote:
As boot.c contains decimal numbers and your patch hexadecimal ones, I can't easily compare these.

If you want to compare, you can easily check my proposal is based on https://github.com/dosfstools/dosfstool ... mkfs.fat.c lines 193..213, not on the file from unknown origin.
Quote:
I had the hope you may have a contact with Microsoft and can ask legal information on this topic

Sorry, I am not in a position to ask Microsoft.

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Fri Apr 22, 2016 20:00