FAQ SearchLogin
Tuxera Home
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jul 30, 2021 09:38

ntfsresize'd partition: chkdsk issues 

Post ntfsresize'd partition: chkdsk issues
Hi ,

hopefully this is the right place to ask, my ntfsresize man page says " http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz" but the link is broken....

I've used ntfsresize to enlarge a 20 Gb partition (dd image copy of an old harddrive) to an 120 Gb partition.
Worked fine after using fdisk's "depricated DOS mode".

On the disk is win2k as OS, as there is some old software running which I still need.

The ntfsresize'd partition can be mounted and used in linux without problems.
win2k can bee booted, and runs fine.

Only issue is chkdsk:

When run while win2k is up and running, it stops after step 2 says something like "Windows can't complete.." - no useful information, no eventvwr log, nothing
A chkdsk /f at scheduled at boot runs until the end, usually corrects one log index and says "hard disk is fine, wait for reboot".

Which never happens, waited hours for testing. PC Reset and reboot works fine, no chkdsk /f scheduled anymore.

But "GUI" chkdsk still not able to check the disk, as written before.

Any hints what might be wrong? As I said, it looks like everything works as usual, no errrors. BTW no bad blocks also.

Tested the disk with "testdick" on linux, "deeper search" found fragments of an old linux partition (correct, have been there before "dd"-ing the 20 GB image om the disk) but, as the partition could be mounted etc. detects no errors.

Thanks,
Michael

Thu Mar 05, 2015 18:35
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Post Re: ntfsresize'd partition: chkdsk issues
Hi,

Quote:
When run while win2k is up and running, it stops after step 2 says something like "Windows can't complete.." - no useful information, no eventvwr log, nothing
A chkdsk /f at scheduled at boot runs until the end, usually corrects one log index and says "hard disk is fine, wait for reboot".
[...]
Any hints what might be wrong? As I said, it looks like everything works as usual, no errrors. BTW no bad blocks also.

I would say this chkdsk is buggy for some reason...
Please make a metadata image of your partition, and upload it to some server where I can examine it (I am interested in having a Win2k ntfs image for checking the compatibily with recent ntfs-3g).

On Linux, as root, with the partition unmounted (replace sdxx by the device name) :
Code:
ntfsclone -mst -O - /dev/sdxx | gzip metadata.gz

(or use ntfsclone for Windows from http://jp-andre.pagesperso-orange.fr/ad ... l#download)

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Thu Mar 05, 2015 22:25
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Post Re: ntfsresize'd partition: chkdsk issues
Hi,

And are you not trying to check the partition hosting the running OS ? This is not possible because open files are in an intermediary state which can be inconsistent.

A running system disk can only be checked at boot time.

My proposal to do the check for you is still valid (you will not be able to get the metadata of a running system for the same reason).

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Fri Mar 06, 2015 09:17