FAQ SearchLogin
Tuxera Home
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 20, 2021 07:52

From Linux, set an ntfs partition read only on Windows 

Post From Linux, set an ntfs partition read only on Windows
From Linux, I'd like to set the acl on an NTFS-formatted USB drive such that every file is readable by Everyone but writable by no one, such that when I remount the drive in Windows, no one can write to it.

I've tried reading about usermapping and permissions, but can't find out specifically how to do this.

Thanks,
Corey

Thu Mar 14, 2013 23:34
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Post Re: From Linux, set an ntfs partition read only on Windows
Hi,

Quote:
From Linux, I'd like to set the acl on an NTFS-formatted USB drive such that every file is readable by Everyone but writable by no one, such that when I remount the drive in Windows, no one can write to it

On Linux, mount your driver with option "permissions", then do a "chmod 444" on each file. If you also want some file to be executable on Windows, do a "chmod 555" on it, and if you do not want any file to be created or deleted do a "chmod 555" on directories.

The files will still be writable by the Windows administrator (and Linux users mounting without the "permission" option).

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Fri Mar 15, 2013 09:34

Hey Jean-Pierre,

Thank you- that does exactly what you say. However, I'd also like to also prevent the SYSTEM and Administrators in Windows from writing to the partition. Within Windows, I can do this by editing the security settings and removing the SYSTEM and Administrators, leaving only Everyone with Read (and sometimes execute) permissions. Is this impossible to accomplish from Linux?

Thanks,
Corey

Sat Mar 23, 2013 20:01
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Hi,

Quote:
Within Windows, I can do this by editing the security settings and removing the SYSTEM and Administrators, leaving only Everyone with Read (and sometimes execute) permissions. Is this impossible to accomplish from Linux?

Well, when using Linux, you have to comply with Linux interfaces and rules...

However you can copy to another file an ACL you have created on Windows, provided it passes the consistency test : use the method described in http://www.tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g ... /#ntfsacls

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Sat Mar 23, 2013 23:20

Thank you- that works perfecty!

Sun Mar 24, 2013 21:51