FAQ SearchLogin
Tuxera Home
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jun 18, 2021 19:35

Hidden files still show up 

Post Hidden files still show up
I am using Ubuntu 9.10 with the latest NTFS-3G release. If I'm reading the man pages right, it would seem that files on the NTFS partition that have the "System" attribute set shouldn't show up by default. However, these files show up in my 'ls' listings.

When I check the attribute using 'getfattr' it looks like the "System" attribute is set:

Quote:
# getfattr -h -e hex -n system.ntfs_attrib \$RECYCLE.BIN
# file: $RECYCLE.BIN
system.ntfs_attrib=0x16000000

But the Recycle Bin and other system files still show up in a 'ls' listing. Am I missing/misunderstanding something? I would like for these files to not show up unless I specifically list them out by name as indicated by the show_sys_files option in the man page.

The share was mounted with:

Quote:
#ntfs-3g /dev/sda6 /shared

Here is some other perhaps useful info:

Quote:
# uname -r
2.6.31-19-generic

Quote:
# ntfs-3g --version
ntfs-3g 2010.1.16 integrated FUSE 27

Thanks for your help,

Kyle

Sun Feb 28, 2010 22:41
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Post Re: Hidden files still show up
Hi,

Quote:
I am using Ubuntu 9.10 with the latest NTFS-3G release. If I'm reading the man pages right, it would seem that files on the NTFS partition that have the "System" attribute set shouldn't show up by default. However, these files show up in my 'ls' listings.

Quoting the man page :
Quote:
show_sys_files : Show the system files in directory listings. Otherwise the default behaviour is to hide the system files.

This is actually about internal NTFS files, such as "$MFT", which you normally do not see, not about files which have the "hidden" (or "system") attribute set.
Quote:
But the Recycle Bin and other system files still show up in a 'ls' listing. Am I missing/misunderstanding something? I would like for these files to not show up unless I specifically list them out by name as indicated by the show_sys_files option in the man page.

Currently ntfs-3g behaves like any Linux file system and only hides files whose first character is a dot (and files it uses internally to store the metadata).

I take note of your suggestion for a later release

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Sun Feb 28, 2010 23:27

jpa wrote:
I take note of your suggestion for a later release

In any case, that would be hiding (or prepending a fake dot?) files with hidden attribute, or super-hidden files (hidden+system), not just files with system attribute.
Personally I wouldn't find that useful, but to each one its own mount options.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 17:47
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Hi,

Quote:
In any case, that would be hiding (or prepending a fake dot?) files with hidden attribute, or super-hidden files (hidden+system), not just files with system attribute.

That would be hiding, in a directory listing, files and directories marked as hidden.

It combines with NTFS metafiles (a concept different from the attribute marking).
let :
H : if the file is marked as hidden
S : if the file is a metafile
h : the mount option show_hid_files is set
s : the mount option show_sys_files is set

The file is returned in a directory list if : ((!S && (h || !(H))) || (s && (h || S)))

Quote:
Personally I wouldn't find that useful, but to each one its own mount options.

Sorry if this is not useful. Anyway you can make a try with a version hot from factory at http://pagesperso-orange.fr/b.andre/ntf ... .6AA.1.tgz

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Tue Mar 09, 2010 18:42

Jean-Pierre, I was just giving my two cents about the proposed feature. I mentioned the prepending dot from the dots 'feature' of fat driver, although that -IMHO- adds too much complexity for little benefit.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 19:40
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Hi again,

Quote:
I mentioned the prepending dot from the dots 'feature' of fat driver, although that -IMHO- adds too much complexity for little benefit.

I agree.

Jean-Pierre

Tue Mar 09, 2010 19:56
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Hi,

Hiding files marked as hidden is default in ntfs-3g-2010.3.6AR.2 (overridden by option show_hid_files) see http://www.tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g-advanced/

Enjoy

Jean-Pierre

Sat Mar 20, 2010 22:05

I have a problem for hidden file because i have make file hidden then click on to hidden file
but it can be able to appear.
why its doing that?
Give me answer in detailed.
Thanks in advance.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 13:06
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Hi,

Quote:
Give me answer in detailed.

The answer cannot be more detailed than the question.... which OS ? which ntfs driver ? which version ?

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Thu Mar 25, 2010 15:04

How do I delete a file without sending it to the Recycle bin first? I'm trying to delete a file that is denying transfer to the recycle bin. (Key encryption file for a game that is nonexistant. I think it's slowing my computer down, since that is the only target it can affect.). I need to delete this file. Can anyone tell me how to direct delete?

Thu May 13, 2010 07:41
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Hi,

Quote:
I need to delete this file. Can anyone tell me how to direct delete?

Which OS ? which ntfs driver ? which version ?

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Thu May 13, 2010 16:22