FAQ SearchLogin
Tuxera Home
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 00:39

Automounting NTFS-3g using FreeBSD 6.3 and HAL 0.5.8 

Post Automounting NTFS-3g using FreeBSD 6.3 and HAL 0.5.8
I'm having a bit of a fiddle with the above configuration. Automounting works, but fails with NTFS-3g. The problem is that it does not fail with a proper error message, rather Error Unknown.
I've been scouring forums for solutions, but they are either for HAL < 0.5.7 or HAL 0.5.9 and do not seem to allow to use both the built-in NTFS support in FreeBSD (which I use for my internal HD's) + NTFS-3g (which I would like to use for external HD's).

Tips anyone?

Thu Jan 24, 2008 18:44

Post Re: Automounting NTFS-3g using FreeBSD 6.3 and HAL 0.5.8
Klaus_1250 wrote:
I'm having a bit of a fiddle with the above configuration. Automounting works, but fails with NTFS-3g. The problem is that it does not fail with a proper error message, rather Error Unknown.
I've been scouring forums for solutions, but they are either for HAL < 0.5.7 or HAL 0.5.9 and do not seem to allow to use both the built-in NTFS support in FreeBSD (which I use for my internal HD's) + NTFS-3g (which I would like to use for external HD's).

Tips anyone?

I'm not familiar with HAL, I don't know how it can be configured to recognize certain resources. However, as a guess, I can imagine that the problem is that mount(8) doesn't support arbitrary filesystems, only those about which it has been tought. For more details, see this topic: http://forum.ntfs-3g.org/viewtopic.php?p=2903 .

Fri Jan 25, 2008 01:56

Thanx. On various linux-sites, there were some hacks around this, but they don't seem to work.

Symlinking mount_ntfs to mount_ntfs-3g could work, but I would like to keep mount_ntfs as well... Still seeing some issues with ntfs-3g

Fri Jan 25, 2008 02:42