FAQ SearchLogin
Tuxera Home
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 00:17



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Kernel corruption with Solaris 11 Express 
Author Message

Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:42
Posts: 33
Post Kernel corruption with Solaris 11 Express
Dear Jean-Pierre

I'm not use what is happening but loading fuse and ntfs-3g is causing a serious problem with Solaris 11 Express. On a clean install of Solaris 11 and compiling fuse and ntfs-3g from source corrupts the kernel for any subsequent reboot. (If you use ntfs-3g immediately after the compliation and install it works perfectly however the machine fails to reboot.)

The Grub title is displayed followed by 6 lines with Checksum Error then the computer reboots. You can reintall grub but you cannot boot into Solaris either the path to the kernel has been destroyed or the kernel is missing.

The only solution is to completely reinstall Solaris.

Has anybody else reported anything similar? (I'm using a Toshiba laptop dual boot with a 2.8 GHz Pentium 4-m processor with 1 mb memory.)

Regards,
John


Mon Aug 01, 2011 14:08
Profile
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 17:22
Posts: 1286
Post Re: Kernel corruption with Solaris 11 Express
Hi,

Quote:
On a clean install of Solaris 11 and compiling fuse and ntfs-3g from source corrupts the kernel for any subsequent reboot. (If you use ntfs-3g immediately after the compliation and install it works perfectly however the machine fails to reboot.)

Do you really mean that the kernel or boot files were corrupted by just compiling ntfs-3g and/or fuse ? Or is it by installing ? Never heard about anything similar. Compiling only relies on standard tools.
Quote:
The only solution is to completely reinstall Solaris.

Do you have some way of doing a full file list of the corrupted partition and compare to the original ? I have recently seen that OpenIndiana is available as a live-cd, but from the description it is not clear whether you can start the OS from it or just install the OS. You can at least do a file list after compiling and after installing, and compare.

Regards

Jean-Pierre


Tue Aug 02, 2011 08:29
Profile

Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:42
Posts: 33
Post Re: Kernel corruption with Solaris 11 Express
Dear Jean-Pierre

jpa wrote:
Hi,

Quote:
On a clean install of Solaris 11 and compiling fuse and ntfs-3g from source corrupts the kernel for any subsequent reboot. (If you use ntfs-3g immediately after the compliation and install it works perfectly however the machine fails to reboot.)

Quote:
Do you really mean that the kernel or boot files were corrupted by just compiling ntfs-3g and/or fuse ? Or is it by installing ? Never heard about anything similar. Compiling only relies on standard tools.


Its not a compile issue. Its after installation then a reboot. It has occurred on a number of occasions.

Quote:
The only solution is to completely reinstall Solaris.

Quote:
Do you have some way of doing a full file list of the corrupted partition and compare to the original ? I have recently seen that OpenIndiana is available as a live-cd, but from the description it is not clear whether you can start the OS from it or just install the OS. You can at least do a file list after compiling and after installing, and compare.


There is a method of loading the zpool from a live image. Its not so easy to do a file comparison as not all files are loaded from the live-CD. I've even tried to access the hard-drive from another system without any success.

The ntfs-3g compile process requires the opensolaris version of fuse and libfuse to be compiled and loaded. I wonder if these files are conflict with the current version of ntfs-3g.

John


Regards

Jean-Pierre


Tue Aug 30, 2011 14:14
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Original forum style by Vjacheslav Trushkin.