FAQ SearchLogin
Tuxera Home
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 22:59

mount_fusefs on FreeBSD gives "nempty: option not supported" 

Post mount_fusefs on FreeBSD gives "nempty: option not supported"
Hi All,

This is my first post, so please go easy on me if this isn't the right place for it.

I have a FreeBSD server, version 6.1. I am trying to mount an external, NTFS USB harddrive for backups. It needs to be NTFS since no one else in my office knows UNIX, and so should something happen to the server we need a Windows-friendly copy of our data. I bought a 250GB Iomega USB harddrive ("eGO") for this.

I compiled and installed the fuse-kmod that was located in /usr/ports/sysutils, and downloaded, compiled, and installed these ports:
fusefs-libs (2.7.4)
fusefs-ntfs (2009, 2.1)

I was able to load the kernel modules just fine, but when I try to mount the drive (either with "mount -t" or "ntfs-3g"), I get this error:

oxygen# /usr/local/bin/ntfs-3g /dev/da1s1 /var/portable_backup/
oxygen# mount_fusefs: -o nempty: option not supported

I read somewhere on the internet that this is a known issue with FreeBSD, but no one said how to resolve it. I tried recompiling fusefs-libs with the option for "nonempty" commented out in the code. Doing this gets rid of the error, but then ntfs-3g mounts the drive as read-only (trying to write to it fails with a "file not found" type message, which is the same behavior I get if I use FreeBSD's mount_ntfs).

Any idea how I can fix this? The only thing I haven't tried is downloading and installing the latest fusefs-kmod. But since this has other dependencies, I wanted to wait and see if anyone thinks this will resolve it or not.

Thanks!
Dave

Mon Jun 01, 2009 19:08