FAQ SearchLogin
Tuxera Home
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jun 18, 2021 06:59

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
windows 7 does not recognize disk formatted as ntfs on mac 

Post windows 7 does not recognize disk formatted as ntfs on mac
I am trying out Tuxera to see if it can be my solution for transferring files between Mac (OS/X 10.7.5) and Windows 7.

I bought a new 64GB thumb drive and formatted it as NTFS on my Mac using Tuxera. Windows 7 did not recognize it as a formatted disk. I tried to use Windows to reformat it as NTFS, but the Windows formatting program saw only 200MB rather than 64GB. I ended up re-attaching the drive to my Mac, reformatting as FAT, then using Windows to reformat as NTFS.

So my experience so far is that Tuxera does not format NTFS in a way that works with Windows 7. Any suggestions for how I might get around this, other than doing the formatting on Windows?

Thanks,
Hershel Safer

Thu Feb 21, 2013 22:44

Post Re: windows 7 does not recognize disk formatted as ntfs on mac
That is an easy one:

Tuxera FAQ states:

w. w.w .tuxera.com/products/tuxera-ntfs-for-mac/faq/#usb-flash

which is complete rubbish, as nobody wants to backup data from ie 2Tb drive

So we do non-destructive GPT to MBR with GPT disk from sourceforge.net/projects/gptfdisk/

w. w.w .rodsbooks.com/gdisk/walkthrough.html

r, g, w

Once done the drive can be connected to Windows PC, chkdsk /f run on it & should be OK

if that is still trouble then we can put the drive through testdisk http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
and re-write the MBR

Working perfectly (tested myself for the very same reason!)

sebus

Sun Aug 18, 2013 13:56

Post Re: windows 7 does not recognize disk formatted as ntfs on mac
Hi Sebus, I tried to follow your steps, but windows 7 only recognized the EFI partition (200 MB). It would be very helpful to explain your way a little more detailed – would you do that? ;)

Tue Mar 18, 2014 06:35
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]