FAQ SearchLogin
Tuxera Home
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2020 22:26

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
NTFSes get unmounted because "did not receive signal in 15s" 

Post NTFSes get unmounted because "did not receive signal in 15s"
I've asked this question also on Ask Different.

After upgrading to OS X 10.7 (Lion), NTFS-3G 2010.10.2 has been encountering problems. I uninstalled NTFS-3G and MacFUSE, reinstalled them and rebooted; but the problem still exists.

After connecting an USB-disk, that has a NTFS partition, the disk icon appears on the desktop and the partition can be browsed. After ≈15 seconds I get the following pop-up:

However, the partition stays mounted and it can be browsed via the same icon on the desktop. After this pop-up the other, HFS+, partition gets mounted and its icon displayed on the desktop, ie. the HFS+ partition won't get mounted before the NTFS error message.

I could consider the above merely as a glitch, which would just slow down my workflow for 15+ seconds; but I've noticed that with TrueCrypt disks, NTFS partitions get unmounted after the error message—thus making them unusable. TrueCrypt show an error message "hdiutil: attach failed — no mountable file systems".

I downloaded the Tuxera 2011.4.1 trial and it has no similar problems. I also noted that the NTFS-3G (tuxera.com) page and NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (blogspot.com) pages have different versions of NTFS-3G (2011.4.12 vs 2010.10.2). Will the OS X binaries get updated? The blog seems to be rather outdated as the last entry is from 2010…

Can I update NTFS-3G on OS X manually? If so, how? And would it even fix the "Did not receive signal" error?

Can I fix the problem in other ways?

Is upgrading to Tuxera the only option? :cry:

Mon Aug 08, 2011 16:44

Post Re: NTFSes get unmounted because "did not receive signal in 15s"
:!: Found the reason and the solution:
Quote:
The problem seems to stem from the binary "fuse_wait" from NTFS-3G that's run as a final part of the mounting procedure - for some reason it can't detect that ntfs-3g mounted the volume and stays on a hopeless loop trying to detect this condition until it gives up after 15 seconds. So my workaround involves replacing the fuse_wait binary with a script that does more or less the same thing, but actually detecting (sort of) the mount operation and not timing out.

Source: IM.GETTING(THIS); — NTFS write support on OS X Lion with NTFS-3G

A fix is also provided in the aforementioned article (included with details and alternatives). Solution that works for me involved editing the following files:
Code:
/usr/local/bin/fuse_wait
/System/Library/Filesystems/ntfs-3g.fs/ntfs-3g.util

Wed Nov 23, 2011 15:05

Post Re: NTFSes get unmounted because "did not receive signal in 15s"
a similar "fix" offerred at https://gist.github.com/1100318

Wed Nov 23, 2011 19:17
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]