FAQ SearchLogin
Tuxera Home
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 18:44

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
the case of the disappearing files 

Post the case of the disappearing files
I installed NTFS-3G on my black MacBook (November 2007 model - 2.2 gHz, 4 gigs RAM). I'm running the latest version of Leopard (10.5.8). I'm trying to back up files to a 150 GB external USB Maxtor hard drive formatted with NTFS. Initially (without NTFS-3G) I only had read access to the drive in OS X. After installing it, everything seemed good. I could copy files to it and create folders. So, I thought it was working fine, and I copied many gigs of files to it (I'm backing up my Mac so I can install a fresh copy of Snow Leopard).

However, after I ejected the drive and hooked it up to my PC running Vista-64 bit, all the files that I had spent hours copying were gone. This did not make me happy. I safely removed the drive from the PC and hooked it back up to the MacBook, hoping that the files would show again up but they did not. It was as if I had never copied them, when I know that I did. The drive also was mounted as read-only again.

I looked at the FAQ (singular) which suggested running a chkdsk on the drive in Windows. I did this, and it went through the process... I did not copy the output, but I remember one of the messages was something like "there is free space marked as allocated". It finished the process, and I know the last thing it said was "The second NTFS boot sector is unwriteable."

I opened the hard drive in Explorer and it had restored less than 1% of the files I had copied from the MacBook (I had copied about 50 gigs, and there were around 200 MBs of files recovered). I plugged the drive into my MacBook again and the same small number of files were showing up. I stupidly deleted the files from my Mac after copying them (and emptied the trash). Do you think there is any way I will be able to recover the files, or am I pretty much SOL? If so, what data recovery do you recommend?

Unfortunately, this experience has not given me great faith in NTFS-3G, and I am likely going to stay away from it from now on. I know, there are no guarantees, and I shouldn't have deleted the files so quickly. Ah well, live and learn.

Mon Aug 31, 2009 03:22
Tuxera Developer

Post Re: the case of the disappearing files
TheAntipop wrote:
"The second NTFS boot sector is unwriteable."

That particular phrase doesn't sound very reassuring. Are you sure that you're not actually experiencing hardware failure?
Please run chkdsk with the /r option to scan through your drive and check for bad sectors and paste the output here.

- Erik

P.S. "TheAntipop"... do you like Primus too? :)

Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:02

Quote:
That particular phrase doesn't sound very reassuring. Are you sure that you're not actually experiencing hardware failure?
Please run chkdsk with the /r option to scan through your drive and check for bad sectors and paste the output here.

OK, I've run chkdsk /r. Here are the results:

Everything seems to have gone fine, except for that last statement. Not sure what it means, but is it possible that this is something caused by mounting the drive with NTFS-3G?

Quote:

Yes, sir. One of the truly original bands of all time. Love 'em.

Mon Aug 31, 2009 18:05
Tuxera Developer

TheAntipop wrote:
Quote:

OK, I've run chkdsk /r. Here are the results:

Everything seems to have gone fine, except for that last statement. Not sure what it means, but is it possible that this is something caused by mounting the drive with NTFS-3G?

Not likely. A quick googling for that error message suggests that it does indicate hardware error, and no matter what NTFS-3G does, it can't just through its operation cause hardware error.
chkdsk doesn't always discover all types of problems with your drive, so you may want to do run a non-destructive read/write test using 'badblocks' in Linux to scan it through thoroughly.
If your drive hardware is faulty, then that may be the cause of your data loss too. USB hard drives can't usually be S.M.A.R.T. monitored so they can fail very silently.
I can't currently come up with any alternative reason to why chkdsk would emit this message.

TheAntipop wrote:
Quote:

Yes, sir. One of the truly original bands of all time. Love 'em.

Couldn't agree more.

Cheerio,

- Erik

Mon Aug 31, 2009 20:06

Hi
I have experienced the same problem.

I am using Macbook pro and running OS X 10.5.7

I have partitioned my drive to have boot camp to boot Windows Vista

So disk1 is my Mac drive and Untitled is Windows. I used NTFS-3G and MacFUSE to mount to Windows. MacFUSE version is 2.0.3 and I am not sure what the NTFS-3G version is.

I have logged to Mac and copied whole bunch of videos (*mov) to Untitled drive.

I have successfully played those files in Mac after I copied. I did not try to login to Windows to see if files are there because at that time, I used the Mac more. However after I have rebooted the machine and logged to Mac, I no longer see those files in Untitled drive! Few new folders are completely gone!! The disk space is still the same as after I copied the files so I think those files should still be in the drive, but I can't see them. Even I searched, they were not found! I have used Terminal to see if those folders/files were hidden but no luck!!!

I have used few data recovery software in Mac to try to find them but failed! What should I do? I really need help

One thing is, I have logged in to Windows but couldn't see those files.

Many thanks...please

Mon Sep 21, 2009 00:24
Tuxera Developer

nokiading wrote:
MacFUSE version is 2.0.3 and I am not sure what the NTFS-3G version is.

You can find out by typing the following in the Terminal:
Code:
/usr/local/bin/ntfs-3g --version

nokiading wrote:
I have logged to Mac and copied whole bunch of videos (*mov) to Untitled drive.

I have successfully played those files in Mac after I copied. I did not try to login to Windows to see if files are there because at that time, I used the Mac more. However after I have rebooted the machine and logged to Mac, I no longer see those files in Untitled drive! Few new folders are completely gone!! The disk space is still the same as after I copied the files so I think those files should still be in the drive, but I can't see them. Even I searched, they were not found! I have used Terminal to see if those folders/files were hidden but no luck!!!

I have used few data recovery software in Mac to try to find them but failed! What should I do? I really need help

One thing is, I have logged in to Windows but couldn't see those files.

Did you run chkdsk /f in Windows? If so, what was the output?

- Erik

Wed Sep 23, 2009 16:38
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]