FAQ SearchLogin
Tuxera Home
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 14, 2020 13:50



Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ] 
Uninstall NTFS-3G without Preference Pane 
Author Message

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 15:45
Posts: 5
Post Uninstall NTFS-3G without Preference Pane
How do I uninstall NTFS-3G without the preference pane? The script in the ntfs-3g.fs file doesn't seem to work for me.

I hope I get as many solutions as possible since it might not work on the OS I am currently running (10.6).


Wed Jul 29, 2009 15:54
Profile
Tuxera Developer

Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 09:24
Posts: 530
Post Re: Uninstall NTFS-3G without Preference Pane
getyourcarwash wrote:
How do I uninstall NTFS-3G without the preference pane? The script in the ntfs-3g.fs file doesn't seem to work for me.

I hope I get as many solutions as possible since it might not work on the OS I am currently running (10.6).

10.6 is still prerelease, and I'm aware that uninstalling it doesn't work since Apple removed a feature needed for uninstalling (there's no bill of materials file stored in the '/Library/Receipts' directory anymore, so there's no way to automatically read out what was installed).

However, here are some shell commands that remove everything installed by NTFS-3G 2009.4.4:
Code:
sudo rm -r /Library/PreferencePanes/NTFS-3G.prefPane
sudo rm -r /System/Library/Filesystems/ntfs-3g.fs
sudo rm /sbin/mount_ntfs-3g /sbin/newfs_ntfs-3g
sudo rm /usr/local/bin/fuse_wait /usr/local/bin/ntfs-3g /usr/local/bin/ntfs-3g.probe /usr/local/bin/ntfs-3g_daemon /usr/local/bin/ntfscat /usr/local/bin/ntfscluster /usr/local/bin/ntfscmp /usr/local/bin/ntfsfix /usr/local/bin/ntfsinfo /usr/local/bin/ntfsls
sudo rm -r /usr/local/include/ntfs /usr/local/include/ntfs-3g
sudo rm /usr/local/lib/libntfs.* /usr/local/lib/libntfs-3g.* /usr/local/pkgconfig/libntfs-3g.pc
sudo rm /usr/local/sbin/mkntfs /usr/local/sbin/ntfsclone /usr/local/sbin/ntfscp /usr/local/sbin/ntfslabel /usr/local/sbin/ntfsresize /usr/local/sbin/ntfsundelete
sudo rm -r /usr/local/share/doc/ntfs-3g /usr/local/share/doc/ntfsprogs
sudo rm /usr/local/share/man/man8/libntfs-gnomevfs.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/mkfs.ntfs.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/mkntfs.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/mount.ntfs-3g.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ntfs-3g.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ntfs-3g.probe.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ntfscat.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ntfsclone.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ntfscluster.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ntfscmp.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ntfscp.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ntfsfix.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ntfsinfo.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ntfslabel.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ntfsls.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ntfsmount.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ntfsprogs.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ntfsresize.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ntfsundelete.8

Enjoy. ;)

- Erik


Wed Jul 29, 2009 16:38
Profile

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 15:45
Posts: 5
Post Re: Uninstall NTFS-3G without Preference Pane
Wow! Thank you a LOT! Sry for causing trouble.

I will try installing it again as I have heard other people reporting that NTFS-3G works on SL. I got an error message though. Anyways, I hope it'll work now.

Btw, will NTFS-3G be made 10.6-compatible after it is officially released or are the developers working on it right now?

Thanks again for your help.


Fri Jul 31, 2009 17:10
Profile
Tuxera Developer

Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 09:24
Posts: 530
Post Re: Uninstall NTFS-3G without Preference Pane
getyourcarwash wrote:
I will try installing it again as I have heard other people reporting that NTFS-3G works on SL. I got an error message though.

What was the error message?

getyourcarwash wrote:
Btw, will NTFS-3G be made 10.6-compatible after it is officially released or are the developers working on it right now?

I will try to make sure that NTFS-3G works well with Snow Leopard at the time of release (or at least within a few days after release).

Cheers,

- Erik


Sat Aug 01, 2009 21:08
Profile

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 15:45
Posts: 5
Post Re: Uninstall NTFS-3G without Preference Pane
unsound wrote:
getyourcarwash wrote:
I will try installing it again as I have heard other people reporting that NTFS-3G works on SL. I got an error message though.

What was the error message?

I cannot remember it. And neither can I recreate it. Sorry. I always appeared when I mounted my NTFS drives. The message was pretty long and said that because of that error I won't mount any NTFS drives at all; they were not on my desktop.

unsound wrote:
getyourcarwash wrote:
Btw, will NTFS-3G be made 10.6-compatible after it is officially released or are the developers working on it right now?

I will try to make sure that NTFS-3G works well with Snow Leopard at the time of release (or at least within a few days after release).

Cheers,

- Erik

Thanks a lot for your effort! I and the rest of us appreciate your work :)


Sun Aug 02, 2009 18:48
Profile

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 15:45
Posts: 5
Post Re: Uninstall NTFS-3G without Preference Pane
I recently tried installing NTFS-3G again because I got my Preference Panes to work again. You were asking for the error message I got when I tried to mount NTFS volumes. Here it is:
Image


Thu Aug 13, 2009 07:41
Profile
Tuxera Developer

Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 09:24
Posts: 530
Post Re: Uninstall NTFS-3G without Preference Pane
getyourcarwash wrote:
I recently tried installing NTFS-3G again because I got my Preference Panes to work again. You were asking for the error message I got when I tried to mount NTFS volumes. Here it is:
Image

I assume that you're running the 64-bit kernel in Snow Leopard, since you're getting this message?
MacFUSE doesn't work with the current 64-bit Snow Leopard preview kernel, and I'm not sure when it will be updated. Hopefully in time for the release of Snow Leopard.
You can ask for more info regarding MacFUSE here: http://groups.google.com/group/macfuse/

The 32-bit kernel should work with MacFUSE/NTFS-3G though.

- Erik


Thu Aug 13, 2009 07:54
Profile

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 15:45
Posts: 5
Post Re: Uninstall NTFS-3G without Preference Pane
Yes Im running the 64-bit kernel. Well, then I can only wait...thanks!


Thu Aug 13, 2009 09:55
Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 09:06
Posts: 2
Post Re: Uninstall NTFS-3G without Preference Pane
I'm fairly new to the Mac (after an 8 year absence), so how do I even get to the shell commands below so I can remove NTFS-3G using this code?

sudo rm -r /Library/PreferencePanes/NTFS-3G.prefPane
sudo rm -r /System/Library/Filesystems/ntfs-3g.fs
sudo rm /sbin/mount_ntfs-3g /sbin/newfs_ntfs-3g
sudo rm /usr/local/bin/fuse_wait /usr/local/bin/ntfs-3g /usr/local/bin/ntfs-3g.probe /usr/local/bin/ntfs-3g_daemon /usr/local/bin/ntfscat /usr/local/bin/ntfscluster /usr/local/bin/ntfscmp /usr/local/bin/ntfsfix /usr/local/bin/ntfsinfo /usr/local/bin/ntfsls
sudo rm -r /usr/local/include/ntfs /usr/local/include/ntfs-3g
sudo rm /usr/local/lib/libntfs.* /usr/local/lib/libntfs-3g.* /usr/local/pkgconfig/libntfs-3g.pc
sudo rm /usr/local/sbin/mkntfs /usr/local/sbin/ntfsclone /usr/local/sbin/ntfscp /usr/local/sbin/ntfslabel /usr/local/sbin/ntfsresize /usr/local/sbin/ntfsundelete
sudo rm -r /usr/local/share/doc/ntfs-3g /usr/local/share/doc/ntfsprogs
sudo rm /usr/local/share/man/man8/libntfs-gnomevfs.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/mkfs.ntfs.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/mkntfs.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/mount.ntfs-3g.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ntfs-3g.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ntfs-3g.probe.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ntfscat.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ntfsclone.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ntfscluster.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ntfscmp.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ntfscp.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ntfsfix.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ntfsinfo.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ntfslabel.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ntfsls.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ntfsmount.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ntfsprogs.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ntfsresize.8 /usr/local/share/man/man8/ntfsundelete.8

Thanks
Steve


Tue Oct 06, 2009 22:51
Profile
Tuxera Developer

Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 09:24
Posts: 530
Post Re: Uninstall NTFS-3G without Preference Pane
magentawave1 wrote:
I'm fairly new to the Mac (after an 8 year absence), so how do I even get to the shell commands below so I can remove NTFS-3G using this code?

Open the application "Terminal" in the "Utilities" folder, and just copy paste the batch of commands (you will be asked to enter your password since it's removing protected files).


Tue Oct 20, 2009 13:36
Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 09:06
Posts: 2
Post Re: Uninstall NTFS-3G without Preference Pane
Thanks for your reply but I bought Paragons paid version and it seems to work great on my Mac.

Steve


Tue Oct 20, 2009 19:09
Profile

Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 00:09
Posts: 2
Post Re: Sticky: Uninstall NTFS-3G without Preference Pane
I just tried uninstalling NTFS-3G (2009.4.4) from my 10.6.2 Macbook and just ran into this issue about 45 minutes ago...

I then tried uninstalling the package with the supplied script at

Code:
/System/Library/Filesystems/ntfs-3g.fs/Support/uninstall-ntfs-3g.sh


just to find that this doesn't work either... :twisted:

In the end I just spent the past 15 minutes rewriting this uninstall-script to work with snow leo.

I just tested three installs/reboots/uninstalls and it all went just as expected. MacFUSE still needs to be uninstalled via it's PrefPane though (which I experienced to be unproblematic and working as expected).

Since I figured that this could be useful for others as well, I attached the script (and a short readme) to this post.

Cheers, cizko :)


Attachments:
File comment: Uninstaller script to remove NTFS-3G from your SnowLeo (10.6.x) installation.
uninstall-ntfs3g-snowleo.zip [1.2 KiB]
Downloaded 7999 times
Sun Nov 29, 2009 00:33
Profile
Tuxera Developer

Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 09:24
Posts: 530
Post Re: Sticky: Uninstall NTFS-3G without Preference Pane
Hi,

cizko wrote:
In the end I just spent the past 15 minutes rewriting this uninstall-script to work with snow leo.

It's really just a matter of substituting the string /Library/Receipts for /var/db/receipts, afaik... but then it only works on Snow Leopard, so it's not a solution for the package.

In future versions I'll place a copy of the .bom file in a place where it can always be found by the uninstall script. That way it will work for all platforms, even in future Mac OS X versions.

I noticed that you made a decision in the script to remove the preferences file when uninstalling. Preferences are user-generated and shouldn't be 'uninstalled'. It's like 'uninstalling' the documents created by a word processor when uninstalling the program. :)
Most users would expect preferences to be retained if they decide to uninstall/reinstall a piece of software (for instance for troubleshooting purposes).

Cheers,

- Erik


Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:19
Profile

Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 14:11
Posts: 1
Post Re: Sticky: Uninstall NTFS-3G without Preference Pane
cizko wrote:

In the end I just spent the past 15 minutes rewriting this uninstall-script to work with snow leo.


Just a quick thank you. Found this useful :)

William


Sat Dec 05, 2009 14:21
Profile

Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 00:09
Posts: 2
Post Re: Sticky: Uninstall NTFS-3G without Preference Pane
Hey Erik!

unsound wrote:
Hi,
It's really just a matter of substituting the string /Library/Receipts for /var/db/receipts, afaik... but then it only works on Snow Leopard, so it's not a solution for the package.


This is why I labeled the previously uploded script: uninstall-ntfs3g-snowleo.sh. :)

This path-adustment is definitely the most important part, but the script needed some more minor adjustmenst to actually rid all traces of ntfs-3g from the former host. If you want to know more, take a look at the deletion processes at the very end, where my patched script does some more "cleaning up" than the original did...

unsound wrote:
Hi,
I noticed that you made a decision in the script to remove the preferences file when uninstalling. Preferences are user-generated and shouldn't be 'uninstalled'. It's like 'uninstalling' the documents created by a word processor when uninstalling the program. :)
Most users would expect preferences to be retained if they decide to uninstall/reinstall a piece of software (for instance for troubleshooting purposes).


Yea well - that was more of a personal decision. I prefer not to have any "leftovers" when deciding to uninstall a tool... :mrgreen:

Cheers, Mathias


Sun Dec 13, 2009 04:23
Profile
Tuxera Developer

Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 09:24
Posts: 530
Post Re: Uninstall NTFS-3G without Preference Pane
cizko wrote:
This path-adustment is definitely the most important part, but the script needed some more minor adjustmenst to actually rid all traces of ntfs-3g from the former host. If you want to know more, take a look at the deletion processes at the very end, where my patched script does some more "cleaning up" than the original did...

What do you think about the uninstall process in the latest release (2009.11.14)?


Sun Dec 13, 2009 04:43
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Original forum style by Vjacheslav Trushkin.