FAQ SearchLogin
Tuxera Home
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:06

Please enhance or add new inherit option 

Post Please enhance or add new inherit option
  • Additionally to the access-rights please also inherit the owner/group from the upper container, if no mapping is defined. Maybe an additional keyword like inherit-owner is needed.
    Special case: if there is a owner, but no group mapping defined, use the owner according the mapping, but inherit the group from the upper container.
  • With the inherit option, please use the Windows behaviour on timestamps while copying/moving files: The timestamp should be saved, even if the owner changes.
All this would allow the inherit option without a UserMapping.

Sat May 16, 2015 12:32
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Post Re: Please enhance or add new inherit option
Hi,

Quote:
Additionally to the access-rights please also inherit the owner/group from the upper container

Both Windows and Linux assign the ower of the current process as the owner of created files. Ownership is never inherited.
Quote:
With the inherit option, please use the Windows behaviour on timestamps while copying/moving files: The timestamp should be saved, even if the owner changes.

Neither Windows nor Linux do this : when copying a file (or moving a file to another partition), the current time is assigned to the timestamps. When moving a file within a partition, only the attribute change timestamp is set to current time. Of course applications for copying or moving may impose their own logic, but this is outside the scope of ntfs-3g.

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Tue May 19, 2015 09:07

jpa wrote:
Both Windows and Linux assign the ower of the current process as the owner of created files. Ownership is never inherited.

I agree concerning a missing uid-mapping. But if there is a uid-mapping, but no gid-mapping, ntfs-3g currently substitutes :root:Local-admin-SID, so does NOT assign to the group of the current process. So another IMHO better substitute would be :unmapped-not-root-group:inherit-from container(mostly Local-users-SID).

Quote:
Neither Windows nor Linux do this : when copying a file (or moving a file to another partition), the current time is assigned to the timestamps.

I never saw this - current time after copying - on Windows, so I'm wondering about the circumstances where you experienced this.

Regards

Ulf

Thu May 21, 2015 17:11
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Hi,

Quote:
Quote:
Neither Windows nor Linux do this : when copying a file (or moving a file to another partition), the current time is assigned to the timestamps.

I never saw this - current time after copying - on Windows, so I'm wondering about the circumstances where you experienced this.

Oh, you are right, Windows behaves differently.... Anyway, on Linux, when a file system receives a new file, it cannot know whether this is a copy of an existing file from another partition, so it cannot get its original time stamps. Copying the time stamp is left to applications.

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Sun May 24, 2015 22:05