FAQ SearchLogin
Tuxera Home
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:34

Refuses to mount RW in presence of HIBERFILE.SYS 

Post Refuses to mount RW in presence of HIBERFILE.SYS
Hi there. In short,

It seems ntfs-3g won't mount anything RW in presence of HIBERFILE.SYS. However in windows I fully unmounted my D:\ "Data" drive before going into hibernation. I say that because ntfs-3g still refused to mount D:\ drive even though it should have been safe to mount.

Any help appreciated.

Details:
Broken down into sections. Hopefully it's not too long-whinded.

1* my setup

Platforms:
Windows 8.1
Ubuntu 14.10

Drive:
3 Main Partitions
C:\ Drive for Windows
/ ext4 Drive for Ubuntu
Shared D:\ "Data" drive in the middle
- The D: drive is currently formatted to NTFS filesystem

2* the problem i am trying to solve

want to hibernate both Windows and Ubuntu. Switch between them - DONE
want to share my D: Data drive between Windows and Ubuntu - INCOMPLETE

3* what i have tried to do so far

I have been able to unmount my D: Data drive in windows on the cmd line
I have been able to re-mount my D: Data drive in windows on the cmd line

It is my intention to use such commands in an AHK AutoHotkey script. Which is triggered before and after hibernation occurs. WMPOWEREVENT notification.

I have unmounted my D: Data (ntfs) drive in windows, and then hibernated.
I have booted into ubuntu 14.10
I have clicked on the "Data" Drive Icon in Ubuntu's Unity File Manager
- To try and mount the unmounted NTFS drive
- Ubuntu Untiy opened a Window showing mnt cmd and the response.

4* what ntfs-3g seems to be doing in response

id@emachines-e520-ubuntu-wlan0:~/Desktop$ sudo mount -t "ntfs"^note -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,dmask=0077,fmask=0177" "/dev/sda9" "/media/id/Data"
The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0).
Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount.
Failed to mount '/dev/sda9': Operation not permitted
The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown
Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume
read-only with the 'ro' mount option.

^note - I was not 100% sure myself that Ubuntu 14.10 was calling the ntfs-3g diver. So I replace "mount -t ntfs" with "mount -t ntfs-3g" on the command line and got the exact same error message.

5* what could be the possible reasons for the problem

It seems that as things stand, the ntfs-3g driver(s) look only for the file "HIBERFILE.SYS". To determine if ANY ntfs volumes on that disk are OK to mount. If the file is found then read-write mounting is refused unconditionally.

This is a problem for me because in fact the individual NTFS partition I am trying to mount was safely unmounted (or not, as the case for the C:\ drive). So therefore I can only conclude that checking of HYBERFILE.SYS is a somewhat lacking or insufficient mechanism for detecting whether an NTFS partition is in fact safe to mount.

I am assuming that was the reason it refused mount (please correct me if it is not !)

Question: Is this problem is down to a efficiency in

a) Microsoft's ways, the ntfs filesystem itself not providing enough information
b) That the ntfs-3g driver itself is not doing more stringent checks
c) That the ntfs-3g drive is exiting early and not getting around to doing individual partition checks
d) other

6* some discussion

It might be that HIBERFILE.SYS is the only offered / known / available mechanism. However I am pretty astounded if there is no other flags or files can be read on the entirety of the disk. How hard are those flags to find / interpret? I honestly don't know.

If we cannot improve the current functionality, a simpler work-around might be possible if the ntfs-3g has some override option to force the mount -t ntfs command as read-write and overcome the 14 error message.

This would probably be sufficient most times (I am guessing) that option could be added into ubuntu's FSTAB file and (hopefully) the Untiy File manager would automatically interpret and apply that option (but only for the D: Data drive and not the C:\ drive). The rest of that is all about ubuntu configuration stuff. Perhaps not relevant to discussed here.

However what if the shared D:\ Data drive was not unmounted cleanly on occasion? It would be a bad idea to assume that is always the case.

Hopefully you guys appreciate that only checking for the presence of HIBERFILE.SYS may not be the ideal mechanism. Please help me out if you can.

Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:41
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Post Re: Refuses to mount RW in presence of HIBERFILE.SYS
Hi,

Quote:
It seems ntfs-3g won't mount anything RW in presence of HIBERFILE.SYS. However in windows I fully unmounted my D:\ "Data" drive before going into hibernation

ntfs-3g only examines the partition being mounted. Usually HIBERFIL.SYS only exists on the Windows system partition, and only this drive cannot be mounted rw. This is different from the Windows 8 "fast restart" mode, which affects all partitions on internal drives.
Quote:
C:\ Drive for Windows
/ ext4 Drive for Ubuntu
Shared D:\ "Data" drive in the middle
- The D: drive is currently formatted to NTFS filesystem

So D:\ "Data" is not the Windows system partition. Having HIBERFIL.SYS on C: should forbid mounting C: on Ubuntu. Mounting D: on Ubuntu is allowed (but it should probably not).
Quote:
I have been able to unmount my D: Data drive in windows on the cmd line

I assume D: to be clean after unmounting on Windows. Did you find a HIBERFIL.SYS on it ?
Code:

This is not about HIBERFIL.SYS, but about "fast restarting". To confirm it, please mount D: as read-only and post the output of :
Code:
# On Linux, as root, the quotes are required :
head -c 32 'mountpoint/$LogFile' | od -t x2

Where mountpoint is where you mounted D:
Quote:
It seems that as things stand, the ntfs-3g driver(s) look only for the file "HIBERFILE.SYS". To determine if ANY ntfs volumes on that disk are OK to mount. If the file is found then read-write mounting is refused unconditionally.

No, there are two different situations :

1) Hibernating : the state of the computer is saved in HIBERFIL.SYS. Open files on any internal disk may be cached there, but unfortunately ntfs-3g can only examine the partition being opened. This was the only mode until Windows 8.
2) Preparing for fast restart (from Windows 8 onward) : the state of open files on internal disk is saved to the logfile of the partition which holds the file, and ntfs-3g checks the logfile from the partition being mounted. According to the log, your computer is configured for fast restarting.
Quote:
So therefore I can only conclude that checking of HYBERFILE.SYS is a somewhat lacking or insufficient mechanism for detecting whether an NTFS partition is in fact safe to mount.

Yes indeed, when C:\HIBERFIL.SYS is present, D: can be mounted, though it probably should not. But this is not your case.
Quote:
Question: Is this problem is down to a efficiency in

a) Microsoft's ways, the ntfs filesystem itself not providing enough information
b) That the ntfs-3g driver itself is not doing more stringent checks
c) That the ntfs-3g drive is exiting early and not getting around to doing individual partition checks
d) other

From your report I gather that unmounting D: on Windows does not mark the D: partition as clean, hence I would probably reply a).
Quote:
However I am pretty astounded if there is no other flags or files can be read on the entirety of the disk. How hard are those flags to find / interpret? I honestly don't know.

A criterion for determining that the "fast restart" was configured is known, but the format of the data saved to the logfile and required to sync the file system is not known. This is another reason to reply a) to the question above, with b) as a consequence.
Quote:
If we cannot improve the current functionality, a simpler work-around might be possible if the ntfs-3g has some override option to force the mount -t ntfs command as read-write and overcome the 14 error message.

Please note that the early users of Windows 8 experienced losing files created on Linux after they booted again on Windows. No error was found when booting Linux in the first place (after having left Windows), or when leaving Linux to boot into Windows. Just Windows had saved file system data before leaving, and reused this data upon fast reboot, thus overwriting the data written by Linux.
Quote:
Please help me out if you can.

External drives do not suffer from the fast restart syndrome, so you can put your data on an external drive and hibernate.

IFAIK disabling the fast restart mode implies not being able to hibernate and I claim ntfs-3g not guilty of that.

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Mon Oct 13, 2014 16:41

Ah yes!
You seem to understand what is going on. From the sounds of your response it isn't a completely foolish thing I am trying to achieve here.

My mistake, the error message does not say specifically it is because of HYBERFILE.SYS and indeed there is no such file on the D:\ Data partition. Rather the partition seems left in a bad state by windows. Even despite being unmounted.

Also:
Before in Windows Disk-Management and it says "Healthy"... however I am guessing you already knew that because windows is doing something else with this partition. And of course you are correct also that "Fast Start" feature of Windows 8 is enabled too.

This is the command I used to unmount it in Windows (CMD.EXE as administrator).

To unmount the disk:

mountvol.exe D: /D

To re-mount it. For example after waking back into windows

mountvol.exe D: \\?\Volume{b03e36d5-51f3-11e4-8263-001eecd73a1f}\

During my test first test session (before going into Ubuntu) I did

Finally finishing non-mounted.

Sorry I could not find any file named "%Logfile" on the *Data* Drive. Perhaps you meant the 'C' System drive instead? I shall have to try again for that. Anyway here is the terminal output I took. There was some other different logfile unfortunately that is not the file you asked to see

id@emachines-e520-ubuntu-wlan0:~$ sudo mount -t "ntfs-3g" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,dmask=0077,fmask=0177" "/dev/sda9" "/media/id/Data"
The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0).
Failed to mount '/dev/sda9': Operation not permitted
The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown
Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume
read-only with the 'ro' mount option.
id@emachines-e520-ubuntu-wlan0:~$ sudo mount -t "ntfs-3g" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,dmask=0077,fmask=0177,ro" "/dev/sda9" "/media/id/Data"
id@emachines-e520-ubuntu-wlan0:~$ cd /media/id/Data/
id@emachines-e520-ubuntu-wlan0:/media/id/Data$ ls -lsa
total 8
4 drwx------ 1 id id 4096 Oct 13 09:07 .
4 drwxr-x---+ 3 root root 4096 Oct 13 17:05 ..
0 drwx------ 1 id id 0 Oct 12 12:10 $RECYCLE.BIN
0 drwx------ 1 id id 0 Oct 13 09:04 System Volume Information
0 drwx------ 1 id id 0 Oct 12 11:34 Users-dead
id@emachines-e520-ubuntu-wlan0:/media/id/Data$ head -c 32 System\ Volume\ Information/
IndexerVolumeGuid tracking.log
id@emachines-e520-ubuntu-wlan0:/media/id/Data$ head -c 32 System\ Volume\ Information/tracking.log | od -t x2
0000000 a7ec 6643 effe 11d1 aeb2 c000 b94f 6d38
0000020 0000 0001 0001 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
id@emachines-e520-ubuntu-wlan0:/media/id/Data$

From the same hibernated session, I did not re-mount the D:\ Drive ever. But I did select "Restart"
and reboot from grub menu into Ubuntu.

Then the D:\ Data drive mounts RW fine with ntfs-3g. No problems whatsoever.
SO. It does seem like Windows doing things it is not supposed to, right? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon Oct 13, 2014 18:44

Sorry I could not find "$Logfile" on C:\ Drive either. Ah well.

But another thing I just tried was to boot back into windows. (i think this avoided a Fast Restart because I selected "Reboot" previously). Certainly the Disk light kept churning for a long time after the Desktop appeared loading the tray icons etc.

Now I notice the D:\ drive is still not mounted. At least as soon as the Desktop loaded up I immediately clicked on Explorer and only "C:" Drive is mounted. So then (if you remember it was just working in ubuntu between the restart and we have made a clean boot of windows).

So then I hibernate and it's back to same 1st error message again "this partition is not clean etc etc". Of course we might suspect that I forgot to unount it while in Ubuntu last time however that is not the case because I hibernated ubuntu and restored the same session. If it were not dis-mounted in ubuntu the memory would still think it is mounted... So it seems to be windows doing it again.

One interesting thing I notice in the Microsoft TN of "mountvol.exe" and "diskpart.exe" commands. There is a difference between "un-assigning a drive letter", and taking the NTFS volume "offline". Perhaps when windows shutsdown and reboots it is taking all these NTFS partitions "offline" and back "online" again. So meaning that "un-assigning" the drive letter with mountvol D: /D is not enough and instead requires the /P flag.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 72586.aspx

I can test this. Unfortunately the mountvol.exe cmd has no option to put back online again. So maybe is required some script for diskpart.exe. What do you think???

Mon Oct 13, 2014 19:14

Great - It works! Seems to be easy enough to re-mount afterwards too. I apologise for wasting anybody's time.

So these are the commands to use then:

mountvol.exe D: /P

The 2nd command (to re-mount) will work anyway regardless of /D or /P modes.

AFAICT in regards to what you said earlier about "Use external Drives - they always work". I think it is because "Safely Remove Hardware" will take the drive offline mode before ejecting it. Wheras my problem was using partitions on the prinary disk they are never ejected (there is no "eject" option for internal HDDs).

So it turns out this issue is nothing related to Hibernate mode. Is nothing related to Wind 8 Fast-Start either.

We can imagine that turning a full windows startup / shutwdown. Then all the internal disks (Disk0, Disk1 etc). Are automatically silently taken into online - offline mode. All the ntfs partitions found inside them. And it happens regardless if the Drive letter or path to them is assigned or not.

Sorry to be a nucanse. For completeness, there are also scripting hooks in ubuntu to run a script going into *ubuntu* or coming out of *ubuntu* hibernation. Where on linux side we can automatically mount and unmount.

On windows side, we need an AutoHotkey .AHK script to listen on the Windows WM_PWEREVENT notification message. Which is sent to notify applications that either hibernation or suspend is happening. I am not sure it is possible to distinguish the signal code between hibernate or suspend (to know which one of those 2 actions is happening). Of course, we only need to unmount on Hibernate (not suspend).

Here are 3 example .AHK scripts, inside thee we must put the command to mount or unmount, with out specific Drive letter and UUID VolumeName. These AHK script are just franemwork. Not finished yet.

Code:
/*
   hibernation hook

Purpose:
      Run a hook if the computer is sent into hibernation or standby mode.

Functioning:
      The program runs in background, listening for the system´s message to hibernate
      the computer or wake it up. It then executes the hook.

Requirements:
      - Windows 2000 and newer

Original Author:  Dirk Schwarzmann - "Mute on hibernation"
   Version: 0.2
   Date:    2007-08-02

Dirk 'Rob' Schwarzmann
      http://www.dirk-schwarzmann.de
      mailto://dirk@dirk-schwarzmann.de

Version history:
      0.1, 2007-08-01: Initial version
      0.2, 2007-08-02: Replace unreliable timer function by real power event parameters
      0.3, 2014-10-12: Remove speaker - muting functions
*/

; Registry location to save the mute state
;reg_root = HKEY_CURRENT_USER
;reg_path = SessionInformation
;reg_key  = MutedforSuspend

; Tray icon and menu definition
;Menu, TRAY, Icon, MuteOnHibernate.ico, 1, 1
;Menu, TRAY, Tip, Mute speakers on hibernation

; Listen to the Windows power event "WM_POWERBROADCAST" (ID: 0x218):
OnMessage(0x218, "func_WM_POWERBROADCAST")
Return

/*
   This function is executed if the system sends a power event.
   Parameters wParam and lParam define the type of event:

lParam: always 0
   wParam:
      PBT_APMQUERYSUSPEND             0x0000
      PBT_APMQUERYSTANDBY             0x0001

PBT_APMQUERYSUSPENDFAILED       0x0002
      PBT_APMQUERYSTANDBYFAILED       0x0003

PBT_APMSUSPEND                  0x0004
      PBT_APMSTANDBY                  0x0005

PBT_APMRESUMECRITICAL           0x0006
      PBT_APMRESUMESUSPEND            0x0007
      PBT_APMRESUMESTANDBY            0x0008

PBTF_APMRESUMEFROMFAILURE       0x00000001

PBT_APMBATTERYLOW               0x0009
      PBT_APMPOWERSTATUSCHANGE        0x000A

PBT_APMOEMEVENT                 0x000B
      PBT_APMRESUMEAUTOMATIC          0x0012

Source: http://weblogs.asp.net/ralfw/archive/2003/09/09/26908.aspx
*/
func_WM_POWERBROADCAST(wParam, lParam)
{
   Global reg_root, reg_path, reg_key

If (lParam = 0) {
      ; PBT_APMSUSPEND or PBT_APMSTANDBY? -> System will sleep
      If (wParam = 4 OR wParam = 5) {
      }

; PBT_APMRESUMESUSPEND oder PBT_APMRESUMESTANDBY? -> System wakes up
      If (wParam = 7 OR wParam = 8) {
      }
   }
   Return
}

Code:
/*

Results :
if the sleep button is configured as sleep or hibernate,
   the computer does sleep/hibernate.

When the button is configured as "Do nothing" then nothing happens.
   In neither of the three cases I saw a message box pop up.

*/

OnMessage(0x218, "WM_POWERBROADCAST")

WM_POWERBROADCAST(wParam, lParam)
{
   If wParam=0
   {
      MsgBox, PowerButton pressed !
      Return  0x424D5144
   }
   Else
   {
   MsgBox, PowerButton pressed !
   Return
   }
}

OnMessage(0x218, "WM_POWERBROADCAST")
Return

WM_POWERBROADCAST(wParam, lParam)
{
  ; PBT_APMQUERYSUSPEND = 0
  ; PBT_APMRESUMESUSPEND = 7
  FileAppend, "powerbroadcast", Z:\Temp\pokus.txt
  If (wParam == 0){
    FileAppend, "suspend", Z:\Temp\pokus.txt
    Return true
  }
  Else If (wParam = 7) {
    FileAppend, "resume", Z:\Temp\pokus.txt
  }
}

Code:
/* TheGood
Wrapper to catch Power Management events

;http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa373162(VS.85).aspx
;SUPPORTED ONLY BY WINDOWS 2000 AND UP
WM_POWERBROADCAST           := 536          ;Notifies applications that a power-management event has occurred.
PBT_APMQUERYSUSPEND         := 0            ;Requests permission to suspend the computer. An application
                                            ;that grants permission should carry out preparations for the
                                            ;suspension before returning.
BROADCAST_QUERY_DENY        := 1112363332   ;Return this value to deny the request.
PBT_APMQUERYSUSPENDFAILED   := 2            ;Notifies applications that permission to suspend the computer
                                            ;was denied. This event is broadcast if any application or
                                            ;driver returned BROADCAST_QUERY_DENY to a previous
                                            ;PBT_APMQUERYSUSPEND event.
PBT_APMSUSPEND              := 4            ;Notifies applications that the computer is about to enter a
                                            ;suspended state. This event is typically broadcast when all
                                            ;applications and installable drivers have returned TRUE to a
                                            ;previous PBT_APMQUERYSUSPEND event.
PBT_APMRESUMECRITICAL       := 6            ;Notifies applications that the system has resumed operation.
                                            ;This event can indicate that some or all applications did not
                                            ;receive a PBT_APMSUSPEND event. For example, this event can be
                                            ;broadcast after a critical suspension caused by a failing
                                            ;battery.
PBT_APMRESUMESUSPEND        := 7            ;Notifies applications that the system has resumed operation
                                            ;after being suspended.
PBT_APMBATTERYLOW           := 9            ;Notifies applications that the battery power is low.
PBT_APMPOWERSTATUSCHANGE    := 10           ;Notifies applications of a change in the power status of the
                                            ;computer, such as a switch from battery power to A/C. The
                                            ;system also broadcasts this event when remaining battery power
                                            ;slips below the threshold specified by the user or if the
                                            ;battery power changes by a specified percentage.
PBT_APMOEMEVENT             := 11           ;Notifies applications that the APM BIOS has signaled an APM
                                            ;OEM event.
PBT_APMRESUMEAUTOMATIC      := 18           ;Notifies applications that the computer has woken up
                                            ;automatically to handle an event. An application will not
                                            ;generally respond unless it is handling the event, because
                                            ;the user is not present.
*/

OnMessage(536, "OnPBMsg")     ;WM_POWERBROADCAST
Return

OnPBMsg(wParam, lParam, msg, hwnd) {
   If (wParam = 0) {   ;PBT_APMQUERYSUSPEND
      If (lParam & 1)   ;Check action flag
         MsgBox The computer is trying to suspend, and user interaction is permitted.
      Else MsgBox The computer is trying to suspend, and no user interaction is allowed.
      ;Return TRUE to grant the request, or BROADCAST_QUERY_DENY to deny it.
   } Else If (wParam = 2)   ;PBT_APMQUERYSUSPENDFAILED
      MsgBox The computer tried to suspend, but failed.
   Else If (wParam = 4)   ;PBT_APMSUSPEND
      MsgBox The computer is about to enter a suspended state.
   Else If (wParam = 6)   ;PBT_APMRESUMECRITICAL
      MsgBox The computer is now resuming from a suspended state, which may have taken place unexpectedly.
   Else If (wParam = 7)   ;PBT_APMRESUMESUSPEND
      MsgBox The computer is now resuming from a suspended state.
   Else If (wParam = 9)   ;PBT_APMBATTERYLOW
      MsgBox The computer battery is running low.
   Else If (wParam = 10)   ;PBT_APMPOWERSTATUSCHANGE
      MsgBox The computer power status has changed.
   Else If (wParam = 11)   ;PBT_APMOEMEVENT
      MsgBox The APM BIOS has signaled an APM OEM event with event code %lParam%
   Else If (wParam = 18)   ;PBT_APMRESUMEAUTOMATIC
      MsgBox The computer is now automatically resuming from a suspended state.

;Must return True after message is processed
   Return True
}

Mon Oct 13, 2014 19:47
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Hi,

Quote:
Great - It works! ...

Congratulations !
Quote:
Of course we might suspect that I forgot to unount it while in Ubuntu last time however that is not the case because I hibernated ubuntu and restored the same session.

If you hibernate Ubuntu with the drive still mounted rw, the state is saved to the swap partition and restored when you reboot Ubuntu. Changes done by Windows in the meantime may go unnoticed and you may overwrite files updated by Windows. Above all, Windows will not notice Ubuntu was hibernated and will quietly mount the common partition... An essential difference from ntfs-3g.
Quote:
Sorry I could not find "$Logfile" on C:\ Drive either. Ah well.

There must be one on each ntfs partition. But you cannot access it on Windows, and on Linux, you have to be root, respect character cases ('$LogFile') and use single quotes :
Code:
# head -c 32 '/winxp/$LogFile' | od -t x2
0000000 5352 5254 001e 0009 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000020 1000 0000 1000 0000 0030 0001 0001 0014

Of course, that what only useful while the partition was in the rw-unmountable state (when mounting rw this is cleared), and probably not of much use any more.
Quote:
AFAICT in regards to what you said earlier about "Use external Drives - they always work". I think it is because "Safely Remove Hardware" will take the drive offline mode before ejecting it.

You can shutdown without ejecting external drives (even with fast restart enabled), but syncing updates to disk is required in case you unplug the drive after power off and plug it to an older Windows (such as Windows 7) which cannot cope with the new format of the logfile.

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Mon Oct 13, 2014 21:50