FAQ SearchLogin
Tuxera Home
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:23

ntfsdecrypt does not build against libgcrypt-1.6 

Post ntfsdecrypt does not build against libgcrypt-1.6
libgcrypt-1.6 removed the entire module interface (upstream commit http://git.gnupg.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi ... 64e2331752). The "ntfsdecrypt" utility uses this interface, so it does not build:

Code:
make[2]: Entering directory '/tmp/ntfs-3g_ntfsprogs-2013.1.13/ntfsprogs'
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I..  -I../include/ntfs-3g     -g -O2 -Wall -MT ntfsdecrypt-ntfsdecrypt.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/ntfsdecrypt-ntfsdecrypt.Tpo -c -o ntfsdecrypt-ntfsdecrypt.o `test -f 'ntfsdecrypt.c' || echo './'`ntfsdecrypt.c
ntfsdecrypt.c:116:1: error: unknown type name ‘gcry_module_t’
static gcry_module_t ntfs_desx_module;
^
(snip)
ntfsdecrypt.c:1099:4: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘gcry_cipher_register’ [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
    err = gcry_cipher_register(&ntfs_desx_cipher,
    ^
Makefile:797: recipe for target 'ntfsdecrypt-ntfsdecrypt.o' failed
make[2]: *** [ntfsdecrypt-ntfsdecrypt.o] Error 1

That's from ntfs-3g_ntfsprogs-2013.1.13, configured with --enable-crypto --enable-extras.

It looks like only ntfsdecrypt uses libgcrypt, and it is not built by default, so this is fairly minor. Unfortunately fixing it is also not entirely trivial, as I do not think libgcrypt provides a replacement for the module system (see the commit message I linked to).

Anyone affected by this can work around it by not configuring with --enable-crypto.

Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:07
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Post Re: ntfsdecrypt does not build against libgcrypt-1.6
Hi,

Quote:
Unfortunately fixing it is also not entirely trivial, as I do not think libgcrypt provides a replacement for the module system (see the commit message I linked to).

Moreover, ntfs encryption is only supported by professional builds of Windows, which I do not have. I can do something about it only if somebody makes available a test set with the three pieces below :

- an encrypted file (to be extracted using the efs_raw mount option),
- the EFS information associated to the file (see http://www.tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g ... s/#efsinfo)
- the encryption key in pkcs#12 format (*.pfx) of a user allowed to decrypt the file, with the private key included (which can apparently be extracted from Windows through the command "mmc.exe")

Obviously, only test files and keys should be posted.
Quote:
Anyone affected by this can work around it by not configuring with --enable-crypto.

Apart from downgrading to libgcrypt-1.5, this is unfortunately the only thing that can be done for the short term.

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Fri Dec 20, 2013 17:30
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Post Re: ntfsdecrypt does not build against libgcrypt-1.6
Hi,

Attached is a patch for using libgcrypt in a different way, compatible with both existing libgcrypt and upcoming libgcrypt-1.6

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Attachments:
ntfsdecrypt.c.patch.bz2 [2.57 KiB]
Downloaded 1046 times
Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:30