FAQ SearchLogin
Tuxera Home
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 24, 2021 19:45

Failed to open $MFT after copying to NTFS disk 

Post Failed to open $MFT after copying to NTFS disk
Hi,

I am not sure whether this is the right forum to post this, but since many of my google-hits directed me over here, I hope someone might be able to help me with my issue:
Some days ago, I copied some data on an external disk (NTFS), unmounted it and now it refuses to mount again. First, the error protocol told me to run chkdsk /f to try to fix the MFT, which (unfortunately?) I did. Now i just get

Code:
Error mounting: mount exited with exit code 18: Failed to open ntfs attribute: No such file or directory
Failed to load $MFT: No such file or directory

I mirrored the whole disk and tried testdisk to rebuild my MBR/fix the MFT (MFT and MFTmirror bad).
Playing around with "Get Data Back for NTFS" on a windows partition, it managed to find the $MFTmirror (not much else, however - actually just one small folder of my 1TB disk).

Running photorec is possible, however, I have two problems:
1.) Right now I do not have enough spare space to save all the data (I also just borrowed the one I used for mirroring)
2.) Many data on the disk are plain text files (code) - going through all the files without a file-structure seems almost impossible

I had minor success with the tool "Zero Assumption Recovery", but wonder whether it would be possible to still rebuild the MFT.
I am thankful for any advices - I had never run into a problem like this before.

Thanks & Regards,
Paul

Sun Dec 16, 2012 21:07
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Post Re: Failed to open $MFT after copying to NTFS disk
Hi,

Quote:
Some days ago, I copied some data on an external disk (NTFS), unmounted it and now it refuses to mount again.

On which operating system did you do the copy (Windows or Linux or whatever) ? If you used ntfs-3g, which version of it ? Had the disk been written before on other computers or OSes ?
Quote:
First, the error protocol told me to run chkdsk /f to try to fix the MFT, which (unfortunately?) I did.

What was the kind of error reported by chkdsk /f ?
Quote:
I mirrored the whole disk

So, I interpret you have a full backup (apparently modified by chkdsk).
Quote:
Playing around with "Get Data Back for NTFS" on a windows partition, it managed to find the $MFTmirror

The $MFTmirror is supposed to contain enough data to restore the MFT... It is bad news if that did not repair the MFT.
Quote:
Running photorec is possible, however, I have two problems:

I consider photorec as a good tool when everything else fails.
Quote:
but wonder whether it would be possible to still rebuild the MFT.

This mainly depends on whether chkdsk has overwritten the MFT...

As a first step, please post the boot sector as an attachment (compression required) :
Code:
# as root
dd if=/dev/sdxx of=bootsector bs=4096 count=1
gzip bootsector

Then please post the errors reported by the following commands :
Code:
ntfsfix -n /dev/sdxx
ntfsinfo -fm /dev/sdxx

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Sun Dec 16, 2012 23:41