FAQ SearchLogin
Tuxera Home
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 17, 2021 07:41

Mounting and locale - ntfs-3g manual examples 

Post Mounting and locale - ntfs-3g manual examples
ntfs-3g 2011.4.12AR4

Hello,

Under WinXP I have a partition D which files format are ISO8859-1 containing directories and files names having non-English characters.
I understood that I need to mount the partition with certain parameters in order for the non-English character to appears non wild.

One told me to enter:
mount -t ntfs-3g -o locale=de_DE.UTF-8 <device> <mountpoint>

RE: http://www.tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g-manual/
Well, in the documentation what is a mountpoint???
Cause I thought to mount my D partition I could just type
mount -t ntfs-3g -o locale=de_DE.UTF-8 /mnt/sda4/
but does not function.

Further more, on this partition I have files in ES, FR, DE, EN languages which all operates OK under WinXP, but presently do not appear correctly under my live Linux distro, so will this locale=de_DE work for all languages ???

Regarding the manual and the underneath options, there is no details and examples, especially how to mount my partition in read-only mode.

Thanks.

umask=value
Set the bitmask of the file and directory permissions that are not present. The value is given in octal. The default value is 0 which means full access to everybody.
fmask=value
Set the bitmask of the file permissions that are not present. The value is given in octal. The default value is 0 which means full access to everybody.
dmask=value
Set the bitmask of the directory permissions that are not present. The value is given in octal. The default value is 0 which means full access to everybody.

Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:18
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Post Re: Mounting and locale - ntfs-3g manual examples
Hi,

Quote:
Under WinXP I have a partition D which files format are ISO8859-1 containing directories and files names having non-English characters.

WinXP always store file names as a subset of Unicode. This copes with the needs of almost any language.
Quote:
I understood that I need to mount the partition with certain parameters in order for the non-English character to appears non wild.

No, you need not, ntfs-3g uses UTF-8 which is just a different encoding of Unicode.
Quote:
Well, in the documentation what is a mountpoint???
Cause I thought to mount my D partition I could just type
mount -t ntfs-3g -o locale=de_DE.UTF-8 /mnt/sda4/
but does not function.

In your example the mountpoint is probably /mnt/sda4 but the device is missing, it is probably /dev/sda4 The option "-o locale=de_DE.UTF-8" is not useful (but it does not harm).
Quote:
Further more, on this partition I have files in ES, FR, DE, EN languages which all operates OK under WinXP, but presently do not appear correctly under my live Linux distro, so will this locale=de_DE work for all languages ???

Most likely, the application in which you display the file names (for example in the terminal) is not configured to display UTF-8 names. The language does not matter, the UTF-8 encoding is important.
Quote:
Regarding the manual and the underneath options, there is no details and examples, especially how to mount my partition in read-only mode.

In http://www.tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g-manual/ and in the manual (man ntfs-3g) there are explanations for the options, and even an example for mounting in read-only mode. You should probably type (as root, assuming the device not yet mounted) :
Code:
mount -t ntfs-3g -o ro /dev/sda4 /mnt/sda4

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Tue Aug 30, 2011 14:01