FAQ SearchLogin
Tuxera Home
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:02

Compilation under Windows 

Post Compilation under Windows
Can we compile NTFS-3G + NTFSPROGS on windows using Cygwin?

Is there any guide/tutorial?

Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:38
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Post Re: Compilation under Windows
Hi,

Quote:
Can we compile NTFS-3G + NTFSPROGS on windows using Cygwin?

Should be easy, it has probably been done in the past. Only compile ntfsprogs and libntfs-3g (avoid the drivers and fuse-lite). You might have to adapt the low level device access in unix_io.c. It might be even easier to compile for native Windows and access the device through win32_io.c instead of unix_io.c.

Quote:
Is there any guide/tutorial?

None that I know of, but doing the usual ./configure && make && make install you should be on a valid track. Feedback welcome.

Disclaimer : I have never tried and I have no configuration to try.

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Wed Apr 20, 2011 13:54

Has anyone got this to compile under cygwin? I get this message every time I try it out:

checking Windows OS... no
checking fuse compatibility... configure: error: ntfs-3g can be built for Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X, NetBSD, and Solaris only.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 21:44

Any news on this front?
I get the same error.

I personally am looking after ntfsclone.

Sun Nov 27, 2011 20:45
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Hi,

Quote:
I personally am looking after ntfsclone.

Are you interested in testing a pre-release of ntfsclone for Windows ? This will be a precompiled 32-bit executable.

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Thu Jan 10, 2013 23:16

Jean-Pierre,

I compile a lot of posix/unix/linux tools to use in Cygwin. I too have tried to compile the latest ntfsprogs in Cygwin. I too am specifically looking for ntfsclone. I see you mentioned that there would be pre-compiled binaries available somewhere for Win32/Win64. I would be interested in these if you could link me to them. I would also be interested in how these are compiled, in Cygwin or other Win-Posix environment?

Thanks,
Matthew

Wed Jul 24, 2013 17:37

Oh,

Also I am interested in the possibility that ntfsclone could run in a WinPE 3.1 environment.

Thanks,
Matthew

Wed Jul 24, 2013 17:49
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Hi,

Quote:
I compile a lot of posix/unix/linux tools to use in Cygwin. I too have tried to compile the latest ntfsprogs in Cygwin. I too am specifically looking for ntfsclone. I see you mentioned that there would be pre-compiled binaries available somewhere for Win32/Win64. I would be interested in these if you could link me to them.

The precompiled binary of ntfsclone (2013.1.13AR.2) for native Win32 is available on :
http://jp-andre.pagesperso-orange.fr/ad ... fs-3g.html
This is based on an earlier version for Cygwin, and I have tried not to interfere with Cygwin operation, but I have no Cygwin configuration, and I did not check (actually I fixed obvious bugs in the original implementation for Cygwin, not tested).
I can probably derive a Win64 implementation if there is any need.
Quote:
I would also be interested in how these are compiled, in Cygwin or other Win-Posix environment?

This is mostly a matter of developping the makefiles and building a config.h file. The source code specific for Windows is fenced by "#ifdef HAVE_WINDOWS_H". I cannot disclose my own makefiles and config.h, I suggest you try something like mingw.
Quote:
Also I am interested in the possibility that ntfsclone could run in a WinPE 3.1 environment.

I have never tested, but I would expect so (ntfsclone only needs basic IO and a C run-time library like msvcrt.dll)

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Wed Jul 24, 2013 22:19

Jean-Pierre,

I found a copy of your 2013.1.13AR.1 for native Win32 before I saw your reply and it worked great. I'm sure your compiled AR.2 would have worked just as well and I will try it next time I need to use such a tool (maybe once a month or so). I used it to recover a broken encrypted volume that could only be accessed offline by a WinPE environment with some embedded decryption tools.

I used it in WinPE 3.1 (x86) in a VirtualBox VM to copy a mounted (ddrescue/RAW) image of a failed hard drive with corrupted NTFS volume without having to decrypt the entire hard drive (empty space and all) which takes FOREVER.

I could actually use a 64bit compiled version as well. Please. I know that most people don't bother because Win64 has support for 32bit x86 code through the WOW64 subsystem but WOW64 is left out of the WinPE environment. So when booting into WinRE(WinPE) 64bit (Recovery Environment) it can only execute 64bit code.

By the way, I am not a programmer. I am a tech and I manage to cobble together tools and such to get things done. I did mention that I compile tools in Cygwin but I really just download code and type ./configure, make, make install and if that doesn't work then I am usually stuck. I don't suppose you could mention how to manually edit the ./configure file or whatever is necessary to get it to let me try and compile the code in Cygwin? If it is too much work I understand and appreciate what you have given me already. I do hope to learn programming some day but for now I don't know what things like, "source code specific for Windows is fenced by "#ifdef HAVE_WINDOWS_H"" mean.

Thanks and have a great day, :-)
Matthew

Fri Jul 26, 2013 17:49
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Hi,

Quote:
I used it in WinPE 3.1 (x86) in a VirtualBox VM to copy a mounted (ddrescue/RAW) image of a failed hard drive with corrupted NTFS volume without having to decrypt the entire hard drive (empty space and all) which takes FOREVER.

Too bad. Something not available on WinPE must be needed. Could it be related to using VirtualBox ? Anyway, I am unlikely to do anything about it.
** edit ** I may have misinterpreted what you wrote. Does ntfsclone run forever when used with WinPE, or does decrypting the whole drive take a long time ?
Quote:
I could actually use a 64bit compiled version as well. Please.

I have just made a preliminary test on ntfsinfo (which is simpler than ntfsclone), and it appears to be ok. Please be patient, I might have something available in September.
Quote:
I don't suppose you could mention how to manually edit the ./configure file or whatever is necessary to get it to let me try and compile the code in Cygwin?

As I previouly mentioned, I do not use Cygwin, and I cannot suggest anything about it. To compile for native Win32 (or Win32+ aka Win64), I use a specific tool chain (not public). If you are not familiar with some Windows development tool, you will be better off using precompiled executables,... and report problems.

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Fri Jul 26, 2013 22:39