FAQ SearchLogin
Tuxera Home
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 13, 2021 21:20

Mount hangs nautilus. 

Post Mount hangs nautilus.
Hi.

My one of my clients has many NTFS partitions one of which which started giving problems all of a sudden.

When I mount it, I cant navigate to the location where I mounted it... the terminals hang. If the partition's there in fstab, it will hang Nautilus.

The partition doesn't normally umount after that... I have to umount -l.

I tried to fix the partition using Windows's filesystem checker (in the GUI)... but that didn't help.

Now I've decided to remove the ntfs filesystem and replace them with ext3 and use the ex3 drivers for windows for write support... however I'd like to debug this problem... so the first question is, how can I collect relevant info from the partition for debugging?

Fri Apr 08, 2011 04:07
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Post Re: Mount hangs nautilus.
Hi,

Quote:
however I'd like to debug this problem... so the first question is, how can I collect relevant info from the partition for debugging?

The best way is to make a full metadata image of the partition :
Code:
ntfsclone -m -t -O <metadata-file> <unmounted-device>

The option -t for preserving timestamps is only available in the ntfsclone integrated in the latest ntfs-3g test version (ntfs-3g_ntfsprogs-2011.3.28-RC).
Then you compress (bzip2 preferred) the resulting metadata file and make it available on some public server and send me a PM indicating its location.

The metadata file does not contain user data. It however contains the full directory tree with original file names.

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Fri Apr 08, 2011 08:49

Ok, thanks.

Also, where can I report the bug?

Sun Apr 10, 2011 19:39
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Hi,

Quote:
Also, where can I report the bug?

The usual place is this forum (use PM for confidential items). Please provide relevant information and circumstances in which the bug shows.

You mentioned a specific drive out of many. Did you swap drives to confirm the bug is related to the drive (or partition) ? Did the bug first occur after a configuration change or software upgrade ?

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Sun Apr 10, 2011 22:04