FAQ SearchLogin
Tuxera Home
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jan 16, 2021 04:44

NTFS-3g Not Found 

Post NTFS-3g Not Found
I installed the latest stable version is 2009.2.1 of ntfs-3g on a fedora machine with kernel
version 2.6.15-1.2054_fc5. The config script gave no errors and ate the end it told me it
was ok the run make. I did and got no errors. I still can't mount my XP partition that
lives on the other half of the hard drive. This XP is an OEM installed NTFS so I know it is
there. After originally installing Fedora and grub (twice) I got the fedora to appear on the
grub menu and boot. The first install only windows and never gave a grub menu. Anyway,
I installed the ntfs-3g as an attempt to look at XP files from the fedora side. I downloaded the tar file in /tmp before running the configure script. I ran the make from there too because that is where the files were untarred. I noticed there are no ntfs-3g files in /sys/modules nor are there any in the kernal location where all of the other vfat, ext3 and so on lives.

when I run the command mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/hda1 /winxp (the /mnt is not required)
I still get "ntfs-3g invalid file system" . I get that message if I use hda2, hda3, or hda
as well. I also get this same message if I use vfat instead of nfs-3g.

Since I got no errors on the make, is my install in the wrong place?

The install instructions from the http://www.ntfs-3g.org/ website never said anything about location of install. I assumed the make file (as it should) would put things in proper locations. Doing a system wide find shows all ntfs-3g files and sub directories to
still be/only be in /tmp.

Sun Mar 15, 2009 02:52

Post Re: NTFS-3g Not Found
I am sorry, I did not run the 2nd make script as listed in the instructions. I have now ran the "make install" with no errors. The mount command as listed in my original post works
fine like it is supposed to. Please disregard my complaint/problem.

Clint

Sun Mar 15, 2009 03:06
Tuxera CTO

Post Re: NTFS-3g Not Found
Hi Clint,

Thank you for sharing the solution. It can be useful for somebody else who has the same issue.

Regards, Szaka

Tue Mar 17, 2009 03:36