FAQ SearchLogin
Tuxera Home
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jan 16, 2021 04:41

created truecrypt ntfs-3g volume cannot read 

Post created truecrypt ntfs-3g volume cannot read
ntfs-3g 1.5012 integrated FUSE 27 - Third Generation NTFS Driver

I created truecrypt ntfs-3g volume with some data on linux.
Then I burned it on media and tried to mount from truecrypt gui from windows.
It gave me "drive not writable" and i cannot read the data.

but, if mount the volume before burn it from truecrypt gui from windows with uncheked mount as read-only, and then burn the media, I am able to read it.

It seems that when i mount the ntfs-3g volume with write permissions, windows ntfs driver does some "magic" that allow reading.
May be ntfs-3g misses something out in this case, I need help.
I try mount from winserver 2003, i don't know which version.

Mon Dec 29, 2008 01:50
Tuxera CTO

Can you give step by step command line instructions how to reproduce the issue? What you did can be done too many different ways ...

Mon Dec 29, 2008 04:22

Post steps
The steps are following:
1. create truecrypt outer vol (from linux)
truecrypt --volume-type=normal --size=$3 --encryption=$4 --hash=$5 --filesystem=none --random-source="$6" --password="$pass" -k "" --create "$1" 2>/dev/null

2. map volume and create fat
truecrypt --password="$pass" --filesystem=none --protect-hidden=no -k "" "$1" 2>/dev/null

mkfs.vfat -v -F 32 -n "$arg" "/dev/mapper/truecrypt"$slot 2>/dev/null

3. create hidden truecrypt volume (from linux)
truecrypt --volume-type=hidden --size=$3 --encryption=$4 --hash=$5 --filesystem=none --random-source="$6" --password="$pass" -k "" --create "$1" >> /dev/null 2>&1

4. map volume and create ntfs
truecrypt --password="$pass" --filesystem=none --protect-hidden=no -k "" "$1" 2>/dev/null

/usr/sbin/mkntfs --fast --zero-time --no-indexing --cluster-size 4096 --sector-size 512 --label "$arg" "/dev/mapper/truecrypt"$slot 2>/dev/null

5. nount, put some data
truecrypt --filesystem=ntfs-3g -k "" --protect-hidden=no --password=$pass "$string" >> /dev/null 2>&1
6.umount
7. go to windows truecrypt gui, mount created vol ntfs with "Mount Volume as read-only" checked
It fails with: X:\ is not accessible, The media is write-protected (this is very funny message)

8. Now mount with "Mount Volume as read-only" unchecked. No problem

9. Now mount with "Mount Volume as read-only" checked. No problem

windows ntfs writes something to the volume. truecrypt throws media is write-protected. Yes it is, but I need only to read.

The effect is that if I burn such vol to removable media without mounting it first from windows, the media becomes unusable with X:\ is not accessible, The media is write-protected

Please help.

Mon Dec 29, 2008 14:29

mkntfs v1.13.1 (libntfs 9:0:0)
tried
ntfs-3g 1.5130AR.1
no luck

Mon Dec 29, 2008 15:58

ntfs version 3.1

Mon Dec 29, 2008 16:08

Post problem must be in mkntfs
/usr/sbin/mkntfs --fast --zero-time --no-indexing --cluster-size 4096 --sector-size 512

the ntfs that mkntfs does not obviously comply fully to native ntfs
trail to this is also that if you create the same fs with mkntfs and with native win ntfs
the results are different

for example: create identical dvd-r sized ntfs and fill it with many files 1-10mb each:
1. win ntfs will hold 4.4gb data
2. linux mkntfs will hold 4.1gb and will refuse to add any more files due to lack of space, although there are aprox 300-400MB (10%) "free space".

Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:43

Post please, help
Please help with those issues
I'm sick to run constantly diff on the data.
I really HATE ntfs for their closed shits but I need it for backward compatability.
will provide any help to help solve the above issues

Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:39
Tuxera CTO

2. The lack of an official documentation is totally irrelevant for something working or not.

3. Files can be written many different ways. The different occupied space doesn't mean mkntfs doesn't conform to NTFS. In fact, I made sure mkntfs conforms to the Windows FORMAT command on the bit level, except some irrelevant issues.

4. Upgrade temporarily to ntfsprogs 2.0.0.

5. Create two NTFS metadata clones before and after you mount with "Mount Volume as read-only" unchecked (e.g. ntfsclone -m -o before.img device) then run 'ntfscmp before.img after.img' and send the full output. Don't remove the metadata images because they will be needed.

Sun Jan 11, 2009 18:45