FAQ SearchLogin
Tuxera Home
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 13, 2021 00:51

2010.3.6AR2 makes os-prober to fail on W7 

Post 2010.3.6AR2 makes os-prober to fail on W7
Hi,

I'm using Ubuntu Lucid (beta 1 atm). I always compile the latest standard or advanced release myself, as the standard Ubuntu ntfs-3g driver is somewhat old (2009.4.4).
Yesterday I found out my W7 partition was missing from grub. With some help on Launchpad and Ubuntu Forums, I found out that os-prober (which detects other operating systems for grub) fails to find W7 if ntfs-3g 2010.3.6AR2 is installed. Downgrading to 2010.3.6 (compiled myself) or 2009.4.4 (Lucid package) solves the problem: after installing one of those older versions and running grub-update, W7 returns to my grub menu.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 13:15
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Post Re: 2010.3.6AR2 makes os-prober to fail on W7
Hi,

Quote:
I found out that os-prober (which detects other operating systems for grub) fails to find W7 if ntfs-3g 2010.3.6AR2 is installed

Could you retry, mounting you ntfs partitions with option show_hid_files, in order to not hide the "hidden" files ?

It is possible that the heuristics for identifying a W7 system partition rely on a hidden file, which is not returned in directory listings (its presence can be tested though) by default in ntfs-3g-2010.3.6AR.2

*edit*

Also, please post the ntfs attributes for /Boot and /bootmgr :

Code:
getfattr -e hex -n system.ntfs_attrib /<mountpoint>/Boot  /<mountpoint>/bootmgr

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Wed Mar 24, 2010 19:19

Hi,

Sorry for my late response.
I cannot test os-prober with show_hid_files; it searches all partitions itself and I cannot add mount options.
Thus, I mounted the shares with option 'show_hid_files' and then, the files /bootmgr and /Boot/BCD are shown using 'ls'.
I think indeed that os-prober relies on hidden files, as those files are not available if I mount without 'show_hid_files'.

Mounted with 'show_hid_files':
Code:
$ getfattr -e hex -n system.ntfs_attrib ~/tempmount/Boot  ~/tempmount/bootmgr
getfattr: Removing leading '/' from absolute path names
# file: home/user/tempmount/Boot
system.ntfs_attrib=0x16000000

# file: home/user/tempmount/bootmgr
system.ntfs_attrib=0x27000000

Btw, I found another program that bugs with the new 2010.3.6AR2 and without 'show_hid_files': bzr. See this bug report on Launchpad: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/545007.

I think this new behavior breaks a lot of apps, as they cannot read files like they used to do and like they do on filesystems like ext*. However, it is of course up to you to decide how to move on.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 20:19
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Hi,

Quote:
I think indeed that os-prober relies on hidden files, as those files are not available if I mount without 'show_hid_files'.

Well, there are plenty of files to be tested in non-hidden directories (/windows/system32/...) but they had to stare at a hidden file ! I agree they cannot be blamed, after all ntfs-3g should have taken the right decision at the right time.

Quote:
Btw, I found another program that bugs with the new 2010.3.6AR2 and without 'show_hid_files': bzr. See this bug report on Launchpad: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/545007.

But, why in this example is .bzr marked hidden ? Does this means the application designer did not want it to be seen ?
Quote:
I think this new behavior breaks a lot of apps, as they cannot read files like they used to do

You are probably right. Too late.

I have prepared a work version 2010.3.6AB.3 with the default option reversed. (no option : hidden files are seen, with hide_hid_files : they are hidden)
It is available in http://pagesperso-orange.fr/b.andre/ntf ... .6AB.3.tgz
Please check how it behaves.

Thank you for your report at an early stage. This helps sticking to users requirements and fixing things before the are widespread.

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Sat Mar 27, 2010 22:10

jpa wrote:
Hi,
Well, there are plenty of files to be tested in non-hidden directories (/windows/system32/...) but they had to stare at a hidden file ! I agree they cannot be blamed, after all ntfs-3g should have taken the right decision at the right time.

Well, I don't know if they test for the right files - but those files always reside on a ntfs partition, so it is difficult to say what should be the default behavior.

jpa wrote:
But, why in this example is .bzr marked hidden ? Does this means the application designer did not want it to be seen ?

The .bzr should not be seen by the user - so, it is named .bzr (for Linux users, as '.' files are not shown by default) and marked hidden (for Windows). This means it is not shown by default in the directory listings, but the program (or user) can still access the directory.
With the default behavior in 2010.3.6AR2, there is no access to the directory. I think the default behavior should be like the '.' files: not shown, but accessible.

jpa wrote:
I have prepared a work version 2010.3.6AB.3 with the default option reversed. (no option : hidden files are seen, with hide_hid_files : they are hidden)
It is available in http://pagesperso-orange.fr/b.andre/ntf ... .6AB.3.tgz
Please check how it behaves.

Thanks! I will test soon.

Thu Apr 08, 2010 13:46
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Hi,

Quote:
This means it is not shown by default in the directory listings, but the program (or user) can still access the directory.
With the default behavior in 2010.3.6AR2, there is no access to the directory. I think the default behavior should be like the '.' files: not shown, but accessible.

Hmm, should be so : not shown, but accessible. If not, there is a bug.

IMHO, in the os-prober case, the developper, wanting to make a case-insensitive check, made a directory listing to get the actual case-sensitive name, then made a case-insensitive check for the needed file or directory, which could then be opened for further decisions.

Quote:
Thanks! I will test soon.

You can skip the work version and try ntfs-3g-2010.3.6AR.4

Thank you for your report.

Jean-Pierre

Thu Apr 08, 2010 14:26