FAQ SearchLogin
Tuxera Home
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 12, 2021 01:30

Repair bad ntfs superblock 

Post Repair bad ntfs superblock
Hello, my external usb ntfs hard drive froze at some point (on fedora linux 20 64bits). Stupidly I unplugged it and replugged it, but it failed to have anything meaningful. The disk got corrupted and I tried to run fsck on it.

I did not know wheter it uses ntfs correctly so I try to kill the process, but now it doesn't even recognize there is a partition on the drive. Actually it didn't recognize that there was a drive at all in /dev/sd* up until 2 minutes ago. I know gnome can auto-mount the hard drive when it's okay, but I don't know if it's trying to fix it right know. Else how did it get that /dev/sdc device back ?

Can you tell me if Gnome is trying to repair the failed partition and the invalid superblock ? If it is not doable can you tell me how to try to repair it, even if it doesn't recognize the ntfs (there's a /dev/sdc but no /dev/sdc1 as there used to be). If it's not possible can you tell me how can I scan the raw disk to recover some critical files. I won't accept any solution to reformat the disk without trying to fetch back some critical files first.

I know I misbehaved in many ways (and I learned the lesson well), but if you can help me not to lose some critical document I'll be very happy !

Many, many, many, many thank to any help!!

Mon Nov 10, 2014 17:32
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Post Re: Repair bad ntfs superblock
Hi,

Quote:
Hello, my external usb ntfs hard drive froze at some point (on fedora linux 20 64bits). Stupidly I unplugged it and replugged it, but it failed to have anything meaningful. The disk got corrupted and I tried to run fsck on it.

AFAIK, there is no open source fsck (file system consistency check) for ntfs, though ntfs-3g provides ntfsfix which is able to repair the metadata needed to mount a partition (without examining any user file).
Quote:
I did not know wheter it uses ntfs correctly so I try to kill the process, but now it doesn't even recognize there is a partition on the drive. Actually it didn't recognize that there was a drive at all in /dev/sd* up until 2 minutes ago. I know gnome can auto-mount the hard drive when it's okay, but I don't know if it's trying to fix it right know. Else how did it get that /dev/sdc device back ?

Identifying a /dev/sd* only means the partition table is consistent, it does not mean anything at all about the file system stored within the partition.
Quote:
Can you tell me if Gnome is trying to repair the failed partition and the invalid superblock ?

Gnome has no knowledge about repairing an ntfs partition.
Quote:
If it's not possible can you tell me how can I scan the raw disk to recover some critical files. I won't accept any solution to reformat the disk without trying to fetch back some critical files first.

I would recommend using chkdsk from Windows (this should not be a problem for an external drive). If Windows sees the device as a raw formatted one, you should try running ntfsfix on Linux before retrying chkdsk on Windows.
Quote:
I know I misbehaved in many ways (and I learned the lesson well), but if you can help me not to lose some critical document I'll be very happy !

Should the above suggestions fail, you may try tools like photorec to recover data from the damaged partition. Having used chkdsk and/or ntfsfix should not have adverse effect on using photorec or similar subsequently

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Mon Nov 10, 2014 22:23