FAQ SearchLogin
Tuxera Home
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jul 05, 2020 18:58

Problems with large files and NTFS partition 

Post Problems with large files and NTFS partition
I'm using uTorrent Server build 27079 with Ubuntu 10.10 Server. When I'm trying to download large file (>20 Gb) to NTFS volume, ntfs-3g driver starts throttling (top shows mount.ntfs-3g taking 100% CPU), torrent downloading speed drastically decreases to 10-100 Kbps, and respective partition becomes unresponsive for read/write operations. Turned file pre-allocation off and diskio.sparse_files on, no help so far. People on uTorrent forums says that this problem is known and is related to ntfs-3g driver (I have version 1:2011.4.12AR.4-2ubuntu3).

Sun Sep 01, 2013 19:22
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Post Re: Problems with large files and NTFS partition
Hi,

Quote:
When I'm trying to download large file (>20 Gb) to NTFS volume, ntfs-3g driver starts throttling (top shows mount.ntfs-3g taking 100% CPU)

Your drive is probably overfragmented.
Quote:
torrent downloading speed drastically decreases to 10-100 Kbps

And this is the culprit. This type of downloading gets individual segments of the file in any order from different providers, so these segments end up scattered throughout the disk.

I suggest you defragment your disk, or you backup your files, delete them and recreate them sequentially from the backup.

*edit*

Better still, if you mostly store big files : reformat your partition with big clusters. The maximum is 65536, which will cut the number of fragments by a factor of 16. This however will spoil space for small files.

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Sun Sep 01, 2013 22:07

jpa wrote:
I suggest you defragment your disk, or you backup your files, delete them and recreate them sequentially from the backup.

I guess there is no possibility to do that from Linux, so it will require installing/booting Windows somehow. What a shame...
Thanks anyway.

Mon Sep 02, 2013 20:39
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Hi,

Quote:
I guess there is no possibility to do that from Linux, so it will require installing/booting Windows somehow

On http://jp-andre.pagesperso-orange.fr/ad ... fs-3g.html I have uploaded two years ago a port of Ultradefrag tested on Linux and Solaris. It is still marked as beta-test because I got no feed back. Please test it. There is a ready-to-use executable for Linux within tools.zip

You can also do the backup, reformat, and restore on Linux.

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Tue Sep 03, 2013 08:31