FAQ SearchLogin
Tuxera Home
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 12, 2021 02:01

NTFS Partition Size limits with Android 

Post NTFS Partition Size limits with Android
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note with a 10.1" display. I plan to purchase a 4 TB USB 3.0 drive and format it as an NTFS partition. One file a TrueCrypt container will be 580 Gig. I understand I will have to have root access to install your software and have found some step by step instructions. I know I am venturing into territory not often explored and I have no idea as to how well it will perform. I am willing to pay for a commercial version if available at a reasonable price as I understand the free version has performance problem with large files. The container contains my media collection including MP4, MKV, FLV, AVI and MP3 files.1w

The author of the Android TrueCrypt app says it can handle a 580Gig container, so it depends on NTFS-3G to work unless I'm forgetting something.

Your comments will be greatly appreciated!! Thank You!

Mon May 13, 2013 21:39
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Post Re: NTFS Partition Size limits with Android
Hi,

Quote:
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note with a 10.1" display. I plan to purchase a 4 TB USB 3.0 drive and format it as an NTFS partition. One file a TrueCrypt container will be 580 Gig.

I understand you mean a single partition of 4TB within which a file weights 580GB. Is that correct ?
Quote:
I understand I will have to have root access to install your software and have found some step by step instructions.

I have no personal experience in compiling or installing ntfs-3g for Android. Sorry.
Quote:
I am willing to pay for a commercial version if available at a reasonable price

You will have to ask Tuxera (they do not communicate on this forum).
Quote:
I understand the free version has performance problem with large files. The container contains my media collection including MP4, MKV, FLV, AVI and MP3 files.

The NTFS data layout is badly tailored for very fragmented files, which is a frequent consequence of big files. If your partition has mostly to contain multimedia files, I would recommend formatting it with big clusters (the maximum is 65536 bytes) to reduce fragmentation.

It also depends on whether your big files are static or dynamic. If you never delete , truncate or extend any file, you are unlikely to get fragmentation. If you create your Truecrypt file with full size (I mean a non-sparse file) on a newly formatted partition, it will not be fragmented at all even if you update parts in it.
Quote:
The author of the Android TrueCrypt app says it can handle a 580Gig container, so it depends on NTFS-3G to work unless I'm forgetting something.

The first step is to compile and install ntfs-3g on Android.

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Tue May 14, 2013 08:51

jpa wrote:
Hi,

Quote:
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note with a 10.1" display. I plan to purchase a 4 TB USB 3.0 drive and format it as an NTFS partition. One file a TrueCrypt container will be 580 Gig.

I understand you mean a single partition of 4TB within which a file weights 580GB. Is that correct ? YES
Quote:
I understand I will have to have root access to install your software and have found some step by step instructions.
YES

The NTFS data layout is badly tailored for very fragmented files, which is a frequent consequence of big files. If your partition has mostly to contain multimedia files, I would recommend formatting it with big clusters (the maximum is 65536 bytes) to reduce fragmentation. Will do

It also depends on whether your big files are static or dynamic. If you never delete , truncate or extend any file, you are unlikely to get fragmentation. If you create your Truecrypt file with full size (I mean a non-sparse file) on a newly formatted partition, it will not be fragmented at all even if you update parts in it.
Quote:

The first step is to compile and install ntfs-3g on Android. I will. The question regarding if this will work remains unanswered.

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Tue May 14, 2013 11:06
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Hi again,

Quote:
Quote:
The first step is to compile and install ntfs-3g on Android.
I will. The question regarding if this will work remains unanswered.

It will be unanswered until somebody tries. The main requirement for ntfs-3g is a working fuse framework, and the user space part of it is apparently available in https://github.com/seth-hg/fuse-android so this should be possible.

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Tue May 14, 2013 13:13