FAQ SearchLogin
Tuxera Home
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 07, 2021 04:17

Is it safe to interrupt ntfsresize? 

Post Is it safe to interrupt ntfsresize?
I've used GParted to resize (decrease) an NTFS partition on a 1TB USB harddrive, and after I realized it would take several days, I decided to cancel it, and quit GParted.
After cancellation, I'm unable to mount the NTFS partition, as I reported in http://gparted-forum.surf4.info/viewtopic.php?id=16887

However, I've noticed ntfsresize is still running (Command line from gparted: ntfsresize -P --force --force /dev/sdb1 -s 542112711167), I thought it might be a better idea to ask here. I'm not quite sure if it is safe to stop it (with kill), or should I let it run for several days? It takes that long because the transfer rate is only 500KB/s, which is the reason why I decide to resize it, and add an ext-4 partition.

Sun May 05, 2013 09:41
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Post Re: Is it safe to interrupt ntfsresize?
Hi,

Quote:
I've used GParted to resize (decrease) an NTFS partition on a 1TB USB harddrive, and after I realized it would take several days, I decided to cancel it, and quit GParted.
After cancellation, I'm unable to mount the NTFS partition, as I reported in http://gparted-forum.surf4.info/viewtopic.php?id=16887

Generally speaking, interrupting ntfsresize is not a good idea. It processes one file at a time, and the file which is being processed is likely to be left in a bad state. Worse situations may arise when processing a metadata file.

Quote:
I thought it might be a better idea to ask here. I'm not quite sure if it is safe to stop it (with kill), or should I let it run for several days?

If the resizing was stopped for whatever reason (power shortage, etc.), I would recommend starting a chkdsk to revert to a safe state. A file system which is not fully resized may still have important data (or metadata) beyond the wanted size, so you probably want to restart the resizing to be able to shrink the partition.

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Sun May 05, 2013 13:05

Post Re: Is it safe to interrupt ntfsresize?
Thanks. My PC hung, and the process stopped, but everything still seems to be on the harddrive.

Tue May 07, 2013 09:27