FAQ SearchLogin
Tuxera Home
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 13, 2021 02:13

ntfsresize - Quiet option 

Post ntfsresize - Quiet option
ntfsresize is writing out quite a bit of information to the buffers by way of the percentage update. We are currently using ntfs-progs 2.0.x line on squeeze in production. I patched ntfsresize with a quiet option so it won't spit out percentage done information each time around the loop, and ntfsfix to clear the dirty flag.

Now we are getting ready to move to Ubuntu Precise which is using the new ntfs3g version of the ntfsprogs tools. Clearing the dirty flag is in ntfsfix now, per my request in another thread. However, I'm currently having to &> /dev/null ntfsresize so it works in our pipline without filling the buffers and blocking. This is problematic as we can't capture error messages :/ I would like to request that ntfsresize detect weather stdout/stderr are going to console and not display this information, or have a quiet option that turns it off. Otherwise I'll have to patch it again myself ;)

Thanks,
Greg

Fri Mar 09, 2012 01:26
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Post Re: ntfsresize - Quiet option
Hi,

Quote:
I would like to request that ntfsresize detect weather stdout/stderr are going to console and not display this information, or have a quiet option that turns it off. Otherwise I'll have to patch it again myself ;)

Well, apparently there is already an option for that (-P --no-progress-bar).

Do you have any difficulty with it ?

Problems have been mentioned earlier related to packages which start ntfsresize without connecting the standard input, leading to errors when ntfsresize requests confirming potentially dangerous actions. I recommend you repeat the -f to avoid them (e.g. -fff), I had to revert a patch which broke gparted.

For the same reason, I would like to avoid testing stdout/stderr, I do not have a full view of how ntfsresize is used within other packages.

Anyway, attached is a patch to implement an option -q --quiet which is just a synonym of -P, which might be a more usual name and in line with a similar option added recently to ntfsclone.

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Attachments:
ntfsresize.c.patch46.gz [777 Bytes]
Downloaded 818 times
Sat Mar 10, 2012 16:55

D'oh! I meant ntfsclone :/

Mon Mar 12, 2012 00:38

I updated ntfs-3g on Precise, and now have the --quiet option for ntfsclone! So, uh, thanks for all your hard work!

Cheers,
Greg

Mon Mar 12, 2012 03:23