FAQ SearchLogin
Tuxera Home
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 13, 2021 02:15

question about ntfs_inode_real_open 

Post question about ntfs_inode_real_open
Hi,

My question is:
Why assigned the flags of inode by using the file_attributes of STANDARD_INFORMATION? Why not using file_attributes of FILE_NAME_ATTR?

ex. dir0 is a directory, so, I think the value of FILE_NAME_ATTR is right in the below picture.

Another question:
Why create_time, last_data_change_time, last_mft_change_time and last_access_time are not the same between STANDARD_INFORMATION and FILE_NAME_ATTR?

Attachments:
dir-mft.GIF
dir-mft.GIF [ 72 KiB | Viewed 11257 times ]
Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:20
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Post Re: question about ntfs_inode_real_open
Hi,

Quote:
My question is:
Why assigned the flags of inode by using the file_attributes of STANDARD_INFORMATION? Why not using file_attributes of FILE_NAME_ATTR?

ex. dir0 is a directory, so, I think the value of FILE_NAME_ATTR is right in the below picture.

Another question:
Why create_time, last_data_change_time, last_mft_change_time and last_access_time are not the same between STANDARD_INFORMATION and FILE_NAME_ATTR?

Well, only Microsoft knows the answer, and ntfs-3g just does the same as Windows....

The picture is actually more complex, as all this is also replicated in each directory in which the file is recorded, and Windows has difficulties maintaining the consistency between the data present in the directories when a file has names in different directories (see remarks in http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 60(v=vs.85).aspx)

In a directory listing, ntfs-3g displays the information from the file, whereas Windows shows the data from the directory, but if you click on the file, Windows updates the directory information, fixing the discrepancy left by its bad management of multiple names (hard links).

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Wed Feb 01, 2012 14:59

Thanks, Jean.
I am not sure whether I understand what you mean because I can not open the msdn link(the browser shows the link is unavailable any more).
Really appreciate if you can copy the content as a reply, thanks.

Thu Feb 02, 2012 07:38
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Hi,

Quote:
I am not sure whether I understand what you mean because I can not open the msdn link(the browser shows the link is unavailable any more).

The link is correct... if you use the full url, which this forum does not help you to do. Here is it again in a code box, to prevent the forum from trying to make a direct link. So copy and paste...
Code:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa363860(v=vs.85).aspx

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:15

Thanks, Jean.

Fri Feb 03, 2012 03:54