FAQ SearchLogin
Tuxera Home
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 14, 2021 06:00

Operation not supported on USB disk and Fedora FC7 

Post Operation not supported on USB disk and Fedora FC7
Hi,
I get an 'Operation not supported' error when trying to write on a usb 2TB disk formatted with NTFS (on windows).
I use this drive to make backup copies of a fedora 7 server, using both cp and rsync through a daily cron job that writes on different directories every day of the month.
It worked perfectly for a couple of days, then it started giving this error.
The volume mounts correctly and I can read files, but it doesn't let me to create new files or directories saying 'Operation not supported'.
I did a chkdsk on windows and the disk is perfect.

I've read on the faq that this error has been solved in the latest versions but there are not fedora packages for FC7 with this version, I the solution is upgrading the package what's the best way to do it?
Thanks,
Frank

Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:34
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Post Re: Operation not supported on USB disk and Fedora FC7
Hi,

Quote:
It worked perfectly for a couple of days, then it started giving this error
The volume mounts correctly and I can read files, but it doesn't let me to create new files or directories saying 'Operation not supported'.

After which command or action do you get this error, and what is the ntfs-3g version you are using ?
Quote:
I've read on the faq that this error has been solved in the latest versions but there are not fedora packages for FC7 with this version, I the solution is upgrading the package what's the best way to do it?

If you are using an old version, you should upgrade. The best way is to download the source package and compile.
If you cannot compile, use the ready-to-use knoppix version from http://www.tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g-advanced/ extract the file linked-ntfs-3g, make it executable and use it for mounting :
Code:
linked-ntfs-3g <-o options> <device> <mount point>

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Wed Aug 31, 2011 14:15

Hi,
Thanks for the answer.
Commands that do not work are all the ones the write something, so mkdir, mv, touch, etc.
I dont't know exactly the version, but it's the most updated package for fedora fc7, I don't have access to the server in this moment, it's surely an old version.

The strange thing is that it worked for a couple of days, then suddenly stopped working without any modification (it's a cron job so no human interaction happened).

Tomorrow I'll try an update with the methods you suggested, should the latest version work even if the kernel is not up to date?

Thanks again,
Frank

Wed Aug 31, 2011 15:17
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Hi,

Quote:
but it's the most updated package for fedora fc7

That is 4 years old, ntfs-3g has been much improved since.
Quote:
Tomorrow I'll try an update with the methods you suggested, should the latest version work even if the kernel is not up to date?

The prelinked version has been checked on kernel 2.6.20. If you compile a recent version, it should also run on any kernel since 2.6.20.

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Wed Aug 31, 2011 21:11

Hi,
Looks like it was some flag or something like that. I simply mounted and dismounted the disk on my ubuntu laptop and it started working again.

For safety I compiled and installed the latest ntfs-3g on the server machine and it looks working perfectly.

Thanks,
Frank

Sat Sep 03, 2011 16:53