FAQ SearchLogin
Tuxera Home
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jun 18, 2021 06:39

ntfsresize --bad-sectors doesn't ignore cloned $badclus? 

Post ntfsresize --bad-sectors doesn't ignore cloned $badclus?
I cloned a soon to fail xp hdd using ddrescue onto a brand new larger drive. Have been trying to expand the cloned partition/filesystem. gparted wouldn't touch it because of the cloned $badclus info even after trying over and over to get Dfsee nobads to reset it.

So I went for the command line route and created a new partition using fdisk on a parted magic live cd then tried to ge ntfsresize to expand the filesystem but it refuses to because of bad sectors that aren't really bad. I've tried using -b -f and whatever else seemed it might work. But nothing. Telling ntfsresize to ignore bad sectors doesn't seem to work at all.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 03:09
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Post Re: ntfsresize --bad-sectors doesn't ignore cloned $badclus?
Hi,
Quote:
So I went for the command line route and created a new partition using fdisk on a parted magic live cd then tried to ge ntfsresize to expand the filesystem but it refuses to because of bad sectors that aren't really bad. I've tried using -b -f and whatever else seemed it might work. But nothing. Telling ntfsresize to ignore bad sectors doesn't seem to work at all.

Is your cloned partition usable before resizing ? Can you mount it, access files, etc ? Have you done a chkdsk on Windows ?

There could have been some vital information in a bad sector which could not be recovered before you cloned. However if you could start ntfsresize, the data must be recoverable. The -b option in ntfsresize just means to avoid reading sectors marked as bad, and the partition should be resizeable if these sectors were not vital.

For me to have an idea of what could have been lost, can you post the results of : (preferably after you clone, before you try to recover or resize, or even on the original device)
Code:
ntfsinfo -m <device>
ntfsinfo -vi 8 <device>

Now, I can add an option (to ntfsfix) to reset the bad cluster information on a device which has been cloned from a dying device, but it would do not much more than what you have already tried with other tools.

The only way for me to repair your partition is to get a copy of the metadata for examination :
Code:
ntfsclone -m -O metadata-file <partition>
tar -Scvf metadata-file.tar metadata-file
bzip2 metadata-file.tar

Then put the result on some public server (send confidential information in a PM). If you have a lot of files the result may be huge, so you may want to delete some directory trees from the metadata-file before compressing if this is possible (just mount the file like a partition).

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:02