FAQ SearchLogin
Tuxera Home
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 13, 2021 19:47

Ownership of created files 

Post Ownership of created files
I have mounted my windows XP partition on lInux the following way:

mount /dev/sda1 -o inherit,permissions /mnt/windows

There is no user mapping (and the acl option has not been defined).

I expect new files created inheriting the ownership and permissions from the parent directory.

This is true for permissions but apparently not for the ownership. The file has been created on the desktop (whose ownership is me, I have verified) but the ownership of the created file is "Administrator". If a create a file on Windows on the desktop, I am the owner of the created file. This does not correspond to the documentation: http://www.tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g ... rmissions/

I would like that ntfs-3g creates files exactly the same way as Windows. I would like that Windows see permissions exactly as the permissions on files created by Windows itself in the same directory. Is it possible?

Fri May 27, 2011 09:48
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Post Re: Ownership of created files
Hi,

Quote:
mount /dev/sda1 -o inherit,permissions /mnt/windows
There is no user mapping (and the acl option has not been defined).

This is correct, but the Linux users will be different from the Windows users, as you did not tell which Linux user is the same as a Windows user.
Quote:
I expect new files created inheriting the ownership and permissions from the parent directory.
This is true for permissions but apparently not for the ownership

The Windows inheritance only applies to permissions. The owner and group of a file always designate the user who created the file. This generally goes unnoticed as the Windows ACLs indicate the users who have the rights, irrespective of the owner of the file. A big exception though : on Windows, only the owner can change the permissions, which in your situation may mean no Windows user is allowed to change the permissions of files created by a non-root user on Linux.
Quote:
The file has been created on the desktop (whose ownership is me, I have verified) but the ownership of the created file is "Administrator".

You have probably created the file on Linux as root.
Quote:
This does not correspond to the documentation: http://www.tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g ... rmissions/

Good catch, there is a bug in the documentation, I will fix it.
Quote:
I would like that ntfs-3g creates files exactly the same way as Windows. I would like that Windows see permissions exactly as the permissions on files created by Windows itself in the same directory. Is it possible?

Yes, this is possible, but Linux has to know which Windows owner you want, so you need to map Linux users to Windows users, and you have to organize the groups similarly.

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Fri May 27, 2011 14:01