FAQ SearchLogin
Tuxera Home
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 13, 2021 03:26

Windows 7 / Gentoo 64bit 

Post Windows 7 / Gentoo 64bit
hi

lately, i'm getting quite annoyed by my computer system. and i'm not sure if i'm at the right place here anyway. hopefully someone is able to help me or to redirect me.

i missed to gather much information about the problem :(
i'm running a windows 7 and a gentoo (both 64bit) installation. on windows i'm using a C:\ for the system and a D:\ for my data, both ntfs. i never mount my C:\ on linux. my D:\ (/dev/sda4) is causing some problems lately. i mount that partition with ntfs-3g (ntfs-3g 2010.8.8 external FUSE 28 - Third Generation NTFS Driver Configuration type 7, XATTRS are on, POSIX ACLS are on). the kernel doesn't contain anything that has to do with ntfs.

the problem i have is quite strange. i've already lost more than 15gb, which i don't really care about because i can easily download that stuff again. i just fear loosing important data one day...
a few days or weeks ago i've started to download some movies at vimeo (all legal, conventions etc...). i used the latest stable firefox version (from the gentoo portage tree) and directly saved those files to my ntfs partition. after a while, switching the OS a few times, i've missed (in nautilus) a few files in the directory i've saved those files. i tried to use ls -al <dir> and got some info about the missing files and they were shown in a pink color. i figured out that windows had a few problems with those files because they were containing illegal characters (like '?' ':' and so on). i've run chkdisk on windows which fixed the fs and deleted the damaged files. so i tried to avoid illegal characters but that didn't really help much.
recently i had this scenario: i've downloaded 6 movies and directly saved them to the ntfs partition. then i switched to windows and installed an application (to the C:\ drive). i was looking for some specific newly installed files which i needed to access on linux. As i'm not mounting my C:\ drive on linux, i've copied the files to my D:\ drive. then i turned my pc off and left for a while. when i came back and tried to access the recently downloaded movies on linux, nautilus didn't recognize all files. so i did a ls -al <dir> again and saw that one of the movies just became a directory ;) (which wasn't displayed by nautilus) so i tried the access that directory and saw that the content was the directory i've copied from my C:\ drive to my D:\ . so i had those files at 2 places. 1) where they should have been and 2) in a file (that became a directory....). i switched to windows and ran chkdisk again. it deleted all 6 movie files because they seemed to be damaged somehow. so the fs on D:\ seems to be ok right now, except of the data loss.

so, am i here at the right place? and if so, what information do you need in case this happens again?
btw. the windows 7 64bit is almost like new, i almost never work on it, but the software/drivers are all updated.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 14:22
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Post Re: Windows 7 / Gentoo 64bit
Hi,

Quote:
got some info about the missing files and they were shown in a pink color. i figured out that windows had a few problems with those files because they were containing illegal characters (like '?' ':' and so on). i've run chkdisk on windows which fixed the fs and deleted the damaged files. so i tried to avoid illegal characters but that didn't really help much.

Deletion by chkdsk over a 64-bit Windows of files whose names are illegal on Windows has already been reported. This may be a bug or intentional, 32-bit Windows recognizes different naming policy depending on the name space in which the file name is created. With ntfs-3g 2010.8.8 (or subsequent) you can avoid creating such files by mounting with option "windows_names".
Quote:
recently i had this scenario: i've downloaded 6 movies and directly saved them to the ntfs partition. then i switched to windows and installed an application (to the C:\ drive). i was looking for some specific newly installed files which i needed to access on linux. As i'm not mounting my C:\ drive on linux, i've copied the files to my D:\ drive. then i turned my pc off and left for a while.

Not clear to me if you do not mount your c: drive on Linux : on what OS and on which volume did you download initially ?
Quote:
i came back and tried to access the recently downloaded movies on linux, nautilus didn't recognize all files. so i did a ls -al <dir> again and saw that one of the movies just became a directory ;) (which wasn't displayed by nautilus) so i tried the access that directory and saw that the content was the directory i've copied from my C:\ drive to my D:\ . so i had those files at 2 places. 1) where they should have been and 2) in a file (that became a directory....). i switched to windows and ran chkdisk again. it deleted all 6 movie files because they seemed to be damaged somehow. so the fs on D:\ seems to be ok right now, except of the data loss.

Can you repeat this scenario at will ? What is made on each OS ? also give information about the names of files and mount options.
Quote:
i switched to windows and ran chkdisk again. it deleted all 6 movie files because they seemed to be damaged somehow.

So the data was correctly transferred during the download, but somehow not satisfactory for Win7. Could be related to extended attributes set on original file and not copied. You can check the presence of such extended attributes by :
Code:
getfattr -d <filename>

Quote:
so, am i here at the right place?

Should be (at least for the ntfs-3g part of the problem)
Quote:
the windows 7 64bit is almost like new, i almost never work on it, but the software/drivers are all updated.

Windows 7 64bit has its own bugs and it is not easy to distinguish them from intentional changes.

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Fri Jan 28, 2011 15:32

jpa wrote:
Hi,

Quote:
got some info about the missing files and they were shown in a pink color. i figured out that windows had a few problems with those files because they were containing illegal characters (like '?' ':' and so on). i've run chkdisk on windows which fixed the fs and deleted the damaged files. so i tried to avoid illegal characters but that didn't really help much.

Deletion by chkdsk over a 64-bit Windows of files whose names are illegal on Windows has already been reported. This may be a bug or intentional, 32-bit Windows recognizes different naming policy depending on the name space in which the file name is created. With ntfs-3g 2010.8.8 (or subsequent) you can avoid creating such files by mounting with option "windows_names".

Hmm ok thx, going to check that out later.
jpa wrote:
Quote:
recently i had this scenario: i've downloaded 6 movies and directly saved them to the ntfs partition. then i switched to windows and installed an application (to the C:\ drive). i was looking for some specific newly installed files which i needed to access on linux. As i'm not mounting my C:\ drive on linux, i've copied the files to my D:\ drive. then i turned my pc off and left for a while.

Not clear to me if you do not mount your c: drive on Linux : on what OS and on which volume did you download initially ?

/dev/sda1 : win7 boot 100mb (created with the windows 7 installation) : not mounted on linux
/dev/sda2 : win7 system partition : not mounted on linux, mounted by windows as C:\
/dev/sda3 : extended -> contains all the linux (ext3) partitions : (some of them) mounted on linux
/dev/sda4 : ntfs partition : mounted on both OS, mounted as D:\ on windows

i downloaded the files using Firefox on Linux. Destination: /dev/sda4 (D:\)
jpa wrote:
Quote:
i came back and tried to access the recently downloaded movies on linux, nautilus didn't recognize all files. so i did a ls -al <dir> again and saw that one of the movies just became a directory ;) (which wasn't displayed by nautilus) so i tried the access that directory and saw that the content was the directory i've copied from my C:\ drive to my D:\ . so i had those files at 2 places. 1) where they should have been and 2) in a file (that became a directory....). i switched to windows and ran chkdisk again. it deleted all 6 movie files because they seemed to be damaged somehow. so the fs on D:\ seems to be ok right now, except of the data loss.

Can you repeat this scenario at will ? What is made on each OS ? also give information about the names of files and mount options.

i tried to repeat this scenario and it didn't mess up anything. same file name, same mount options.
i think i've found the solution to this problem on another thread.
my notebook seems to turn on over night by itself from time to time (wtf...), or by carrying it closed in my backpack (which i haven't in the last 2 month, so there's no chance that this happend), which seems to lead to a "resuming windows" screen (hibernate?). i now turned off hibernate on windows, so in case this happens again it will consume all the battery or just ends up in stand-by. anyway i've never used the hibernate feature by intention and wasn't aware of it and its possibility to cause problems. so i hope this was the problem and this workaround (still have to find out why the pc turned on from time to time and ended up in hibernate) fixes it. otherwise i'll let you know.
jpa wrote:
Quote:
i switched to windows and ran chkdisk again. it deleted all 6 movie files because they seemed to be damaged somehow.

So the data was correctly transferred during the download, but somehow not satisfactory for Win7. Could be related to extended attributes set on original file and not copied. You can check the presence of such extended attributes by :
Code:
getfattr -d <filename>

getfattr -d <filename> doesn't give any output on any of those files.
jpa wrote:
Quote:
so, am i here at the right place?

Should be (at least for the ntfs-3g part of the problem)
Quote:
the windows 7 64bit is almost like new, i almost never work on it, but the software/drivers are all updated.

Windows 7 64bit has its own bugs and it is not easy to distinguish them from intentional changes.

Regards

Jean-Pierre

thx for the help.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 16:22
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Hi

Quote:
so i hope this was the problem and this workaround (still have to find out why the pc turned on from time to time and ended up in hibernate) fixes it. otherwise i'll let you know.

Ok, report again if you find something new.

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Fri Jan 28, 2011 22:32