FAQ SearchLogin
Tuxera Home
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 13, 2021 04:06

NTFS kernel driver vs NTFS-3G on linux 

Post NTFS kernel driver vs NTFS-3G on linux
Hi,

I have just started exploring NTFS kernel driver on linux and was trying to compare it with the NTFS-3G open source driver. I didn't find very matured write support in NTFS kernel driver as compared to NTFS-3g open source driver. I am not sure if I missed something in testing NTFS kernel driver. I would be grateful if you can provide with a comparison of functionalities of NTFS-kernel driver and NTFS-3g open source driver and their maturity/stability levels on linux so that I can go with the better one for my work.

Regards,
Vani

Fri Jul 09, 2010 07:15
Tuxera CTO

Post Re: NTFS kernel driver vs NTFS-3G on linux
Hi,

The kernel NTFS driver has no full write support, it can only change file sizes. All Linux distributions (over 300 ones) which has full NTFS write support use NTFS-3G. NTFS-3G is used because they have found it mature and stable, moreover we are happy to give it away free under the GPL license :-)

On the other hand, commercial companies manufacturing embedded devices, e.g. set-top box, NAS, media players, etc, often choose the high-performance Tuxera NTFS kernel driver which has also full write support.

Regards, Szaka

Mon Jul 19, 2010 16:45